Engine Ice Coolant

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Comey
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Engine Ice Coolant

Postby Comey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

Has anyone used this product? If so does it work as advertised? I am not concerned about the price
just how it performs.
Comey

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Engine Ice Coolant

Postby joeincalif » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:19 am

I believe that Fred Harmon used Wetter Water on his page when he changed the coolant in his early 1800.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/coolant
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

happytrailsinc
Motorcycle: 89 gl1500

Postby happytrailsinc » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Engine ice is just coolant with some water wetter and some purple dye!
If you really want a coolant that actually works check out Evans coolant!
Have yet to put in my new wing, but have been running it in my dirt bike for the last 5 years with out any boil overs or overheating.
Its is waterless, and water is what boils and causes pressure in your system, with Evans you can take off the radiator cap anytime without fear of coolant flying everywhere
Some complain that you can't top off with water, but if you have a good cooling system, there should be no reason to have to add any :!:

GlimWas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Pearl Atlantis blue.

Postby GlimWas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:55 am

Isn't it so that if you have a good cooling system you do not need any 'high performance' liquids? I find it a bit strange that you would use a generally more expensive
solution for a problem that does not exist. Just an opinion ofcourse............
Cedo nulli

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94
The next bike won't be '01, will it?

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:26 pm

I am using the engine ice coolant right now. I bought my bike last November and had to change the thermostat in it. Not knowing how the bike would run in the warmer summer months, I refilled it with engine ice. I had heard it will keep your bike running cooler during hot summertime temperatures and my thinking at the time was I might be heading off a future problem. Sort of like preventive maintenance.
I've not had any problems with it, but I've only been using it a short time now. I haven't been riding in any really hot weather yet, but I have rode in 80 and 90 degree temps and so far it runs nice and cool.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:02 pm

But, the coolant doesn't dictate the temperature that the engine runs. The thermostat does. No matter what you put in the cooling system, the thermostat will adjust to the designed temperature. Even with plain water.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not top interrupt those who are doing it.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:30 am

True, the thermostat will open at a preset temperature and then close when the engine cools off some and will keep repeating the cycle.
But in hot summertime, stop and go traffic, the engine and water temperatures will exceed the thermostat setting. The thermostat stays open. I believe its at times like this the engine ice is supposed to help keep your engine cooler.
Now whether it really works or not, I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:27 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:True, the thermostat will open at a preset temperature and then close when the engine cools off some and will keep repeating the cycle.
But in hot summertime, stop and go traffic, the engine and water temperatures will exceed the thermostat setting. The thermostat stays open. I believe its at times like this the engine ice is supposed to help keep your engine cooler.
Now whether it really works or not, I don't know, but I'll give it a shot.

Very true. The additives and water substitutes will boil at a higher temp and may not expand as much as plain water. The expansion and release of air in the water is why there are over flow/recovery tanks on the cooling system. When the engine is off and the system cools, a vacuum is created and it will draw the coolant out of the tank and back into the engine. You also need the thermostat in the system to make sure the coolant stays in the radiator long enough to transfer the heat out.
Bottom line is that the more expensive coolants probably dissipate heat faster than a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”