GW does not want to run after Rain

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cmince
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

GW does not want to run after Rain

Postby cmince » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Back Story:
I have a 1996 GL1500SE, I keep it in the driveway during the summer, but cover it every night with a Dowco Guardian Weather proof cover(I don't have a garage). After a rain the next morning when I go to ride one of two things will happen, and I just know they are related. I have checked the entire bike over after the rain and I do not find any wet spots on the bike, so I know my cover is not leaking.

1. The bike will start and run for about 45 seconds, then it will sputter for a second and die. After this it will not restart unless I let it sit for several hours, since I work it ends up sitting until I get home from work. After which I press the start button for less than 2 seconds and it starts right up and runs just fine. I have tried various amounts of choke, twisting the throttle, letting it crank with no choke or twist, nothing will restart the motorcycle except letting it sit until I get home from work.

2. The bike will start and run fine, just long enough for me to get on the road. About 5 minutes into the ride the engine loses power, and starts sputtering and jerking. If I try to twist the throttle to give it more gas it dies, if I let off the throttle it dies, if I feather the throttle(keep it at a position that gives it a little gas, but not too much) I can keep the bike running. It will keep this up for about 5 miles or so, then it smooths out and runs fine, I won't have any more issues with it until the next time it rains.

I have replaced spark plug wires, I have insured that all of my electrical connections are secure and dry. I am beginning to suspect the coil may have a crack in it, but I am not sure I have one, and I have been caught riding in the rain and the problem does not occur. Help I am at my wits end...I truly loathe electrical issues!!!!!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: GW does not want to run after Rain

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 pm

It doesn't sound like an electrical issue. When did you last check the fuel filter and/or the petcock?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

deanjenn
Motorcycle: '75 RD350E (sold)
Yamaha 750 Seca (sold)
Yamaha Venture Royale (sold)
'06 Roadstar (sold)
'97 Gold Wing 1500 SE

Postby deanjenn » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:24 pm

I think you're on the right track. I think the reason it doesn't do it while you're riding in the rain is because it's warm enough it's not letting the moisture get to it. I could be wrong, I have been before.

DJ

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:59 am

Start with fuel delivery..test pump output, filter, and petcock vacuum. If all that's good then on to carbs..could be sticking or leaking slides/diaphragms..how moister effects hard to say. But it sure sounds more fuel related than electrical
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:42 am

DITTOES on Petcock and filter.
ethKRAPanol fuel is not kind on older fuel system soft parts.

Cracked coils are rare on the Wing but can happen. When the bike is dry and running and you can get to the coils, cardboard separate coils from coil wire and spurts a very fine mist of water on each coil and watch for arcing. If none, then try it on the coils wires. BTW: An insulated screwdriver will do the same thing but water seems to be your culprit.

Curious:
When it dies and won't start, have you tried partial choke?
I use the clear fuel filters, I can see if I have a fuel delivery problem. Very fine rust is invisible and will clog the filter. Happened to me twice so I carry a new spare filter. As long as I have that filter on the bike I have no problems (same for my headlight = weird!!!).
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Also check the plug drain holes - at the bottom of each spark plug well is a hole that is intended to drain water. They can get plugged up, but can be cleared with a coat hanger wire.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

:lol: coat hangar... they still make those?

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”