Clutch lever

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Clutch lever

Postby Greenwinger » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Was out on the bike today and as the day was getting hotter up to 32 C (Mid 80s F. I think) I noticed the clutch was engaging just at the top of the lever travel, seems to be higher then it use to be. Gears shifted well, bike accelerated as expected, just seemed higher in the lever travel then it use to be.
Bike is a 97 SE with 160 ish thousand kilometers about 100,0000 miles I have never had any issues with any clutch on any bike I have ever owned. I know clutches don't last forever but I am concerned this one may be on it's way out. I am leaving for a very long, expected to be very hot trip to Wyoming and Montana in about 2 weeks and am hoping to not have any issues.
About a month ago I changed the fluid in the clutch, (As I do every year) I was very careful to make sure there were no air bubbles in the system.
I don't know if air in the system can cause a high lever or not. I will bleed the system again but my mind is on a possible clutch issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Clutch lever

Postby NVSB4 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:40 pm

There are usually two causes for that. You should probably bleed the clutch again and make sure that the little return hole is clear. Also check the clutch bushing. Have you ever changed it out? Does your clutch lever have a lot of wiggle in it? Very cheap and simple procedure with a How-To article on this site.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”