rear brakes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

rear brakes

Postby hap2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:23 pm

The bike's rear brake is pretty close to steel on steel. Maybe it is as it makes a grinding noise as I manually turn the wheel when the bike is on its centerstand. Can't quite figure out why as I've only put on about 500 miles when I got the bike & the brakes then had 55% left. Anyway, I took it on the highway for 10 miles & checed the back rotor It was very hot to touch. Is it sposed to be? I think not.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: rear brakes

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Rear rotor gets radiant heat from the mufflers and ambient heat from the motor so it'll be rather warm in that respect.
And using the rear brakes with the above mentioned makes it all the warmer and longer.
Is it possible your resting your toe on the pedal or not remembering how much you're actually using the rear brakes?
I'm going thru the same dilemma tho I know I'm toe resting. GOT TO find those toe rests, or make a set.
ALSO for the rear, any air in the rear system will expand % more than the fronts due to the extra heat. Done any brake fluid service lately?
Another thought: How's your rear wheel bearings? Mine needed changed last year. One bad bearing caused the rotor to skuff the brake caliper.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply & all the good questions & info.

I'm sure I'm not resting my foot on the brakes. I have all my work done, so wil have to check with the guy who did them. As soon as I get some answers, I'll let u know. Thanx

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 pm

hap2 wrote:Thanks for the reply & all the good questions & info.

I'm sure I'm not resting my foot on the brakes. I have all my work done, so wil have to check with the guy who did them. As soon as I get some answers, I'll let u know. Thanx

Welcome, just doing what I can to help out.
Hope it's an EZ and inexpensive fix. ;)

Ask the mechanic if he used DOT 3 brake fluid. (it's a trick question)
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 am

Sorry for being so naiive, but what do u mean by the Dot 3 question being a trick question? I guess I shud find out, but what kind of brake fluid should I be using the the Wing?

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 am

A GL1500 uses Dot 4 brake fluid. However, if your brake pads have worn down to the base plate in only 500 miles, I doubt it is the brake fluid causing the problems. All disc brakes produce heat during operation, even if brake use is minimum. Given that you are able to move the wheel by hand I doubt you have binding pads and the noise you hear might just be some debris you have collected - it depends how much noise they actually make. Clearly the pads need replacing if they are so worn down, so perhaps you could do this and investigate any problems while you do this. In normal use, you should be getting over ten thousand miles from a pair of rear pads so clearly something is amiss if they have lost the remaining 40% of pad material in just 500 miles.

Of course, the question arises as to how do you know there was 55% pad wear when you got the machine? Goldwing rear brakes are difficult to visualise, and it may be that the pads were all but done 500 miles ago. If you have been using the machine with the pads down to the base material of the pads, then you will no doubt be needing a new disc (rotor) too.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 am

hap2 wrote:Sorry for being so naiive, but what do u mean by the Dot 3 question being a trick question? I guess I shud find out, but what kind of brake fluid should I be using the the Wing?

Naive? Not at all.
The DOT 3 question is a way to test their aptitude. A good mechanic that's customer friendly "should" explain the merits, or demerits, of each brake fluid in your system. So that simple question gives you a few ways to learn who your mechanic is and there knowledge.

I see brettchallenger answered your question.
We're all here to help. :)

"Life is a learning curve. When reaching a fork in the road which do you take, the 3 or 4 pronged one?" [Redneck road-kill etiquette] :twisted:

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 am

OK thanks. Will let u know what was wrong once it's all good to go again.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:30 am

Sounds like rear caliper is dragging. From what was mentioned you may need to rebuild the caliper but it could also be that the little hole in the master cylinder is plugged up. When I first got my goldwing the rear brakes were dragging. The PO's solution was to try fixing this by drilling a hole thru the rear master cylinder fluid cap! No thats not gonna help much. :D :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”