Progressive 416 shock help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cpraildriver
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500se

Progressive 416 shock help

Postby cpraildriver » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Hey every one, I need a little help with an issue I have with my progressive shocks. I installed a set of 416's on my 98 SE last month per the instructions, went for a test ride and the bike's suspension was rock hard. With or with out air, the ride was way too firm, with both my wife and I on the bike I could not get the rear to compress at all. :cry:

I called Progressive Suspension and spoke to one of there people. They asked for pictures of the installation to see how I had them installed and the airline routed. He could not visually see anything wrong with the installation and asked for me to send them in to Progressive. I heard today (6/27/16) that there is nothing wrong with them so they are sending them back to me. :o

Now my question is. Could I have missed or overlooked something when I installed them? How critical is the .020 gap on the top mount? If I overlooked that and just torqued them down could that have been the cause? :oops:

Thanks for your help.

Mike

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Progressive 416 shock help

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 pm

The shocks really rotate a tiny amount on their mounts when compressed, so even if they were welded solid to the bike at each end, the flex of the shock itself would allow at least a fair bit of travel.

You might be simply not used to the difference in shock - I know when I put 416's on my bike, the ride stiffened up considerably.

With the bike on the center stand, measure the distance between the center of each mounting stud. Then with the bike sitting on its wheels, measure the distance again. Lastly, do it one more time with you sitting on the bike (obviously you will need some help doing this).

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Progressive 416s are not "rock hard" by any stretch. I have them on my '85 GL1200 bike and on the '97 GL1500 Lehman trike. When I first installed them on the 1200 years ago, first ride and "Wife Unit" said good money spent .... she loved the improvement.

cpraildriver

Postby cpraildriver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I read several reviews before I purchased these, and found only positive reviews. Like I said in my first post I literally had zero compression on them. I wonder if there may have been a problem with them that Progressive fixed? I guess I will find out when I get them back and reinstall them.

I know when I sent my pictures to Chad at progressive he said the installation was fine. So i do not know!

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Any resolution? :?: :?:
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

cpraildriver

Postby cpraildriver » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Haven't heard anything yet.
I spoke to a cust. service rep at D***** K*** (don't know if I can name the company or not :o where I purchased the shocks) last week and they said Progressive is sending them back to them. D.K. stated if they are in "like new" condition they may offer to let me return them. I honestly do not know if I am willing to take them back at this point. I feel that there must be something wrong. Maybe a bad set or who knows. There is not much to installing them that's for sure. I think I would feel more comfortable trying a different set.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:28 am

I have a silly question.
With the shocks REMOVED from the bike, does the swingarm move up and down throughout its range easily? If you have the shocks off, you ought to be able to move the whole final drive assembly with no more effort than what it takes to lift the weight of the components...if you CAN, then there is likely an issue with either one of the shocks, both of them, or the installation of one or both of them is amiss. Try installing just one shock, then lower the bike to test its functionality...if it works, install the other side and retest. IF installation of the first side resulted in a failed functionality test, remove it and try the other by itself...to help identify which one, or both, is bad. Good luck, keep us posted.

Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”