"rich" smell idle and driving

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

"rich" smell idle and driving

Postby kane67 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Hello Gentlemen,

Got this bike last august, I've driven 6k miles without any problem. 50k miles, not sure if true.
When I got it, it had rich exhaust smell. Right side plugs looked a bit white (!) so I adjusted pilot more open and replaced plugs.
Starts great, no need to choke but if I use choke, longer than 30 sec, it starts to misfire a bit but when I turn choke off it runs nice.

Last winter I did all vacuum tubes (not the big ones) also under heat rubber.
Left side intake found leaky tube.
Changed idle jet to 55 (no signs of X, so recall not done...)
Adjusted fuel level 8mm, all new seals.
Everything looked clean, when bike was again running I adjusted pilot screws to 2 1/2 -2 3/4 by listening idle to be ok.
Sync done.

There was an extra spring installed what pulls choke cable off, maybe something is there internally in carb/carbs? I tried without it with new choke cable, it wasn't going off every time so I put spring back.
Mileage is around 35 mpg so it's not bad...
Friend was driving behind me and he said it smells when accelerating strong...

So, before I start looking I thought to ask ideas what to look.
- spark plug color check
- air filter change even it looks like new?
- what causes misfire when choke on (not right away but after 30 sec =>), too much fuel??

There is no other bad thing, it runs great from idle to high rpm. Just wondering what to do to make it run 10+ without smelling ;)

-kane-

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: "rich" smell idle and driving

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:35 pm

I would like to hear any opinions on this as well - seems like a familiar issue I am having (in this cold weather) in warmer weather I don't have a problem.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 pm

I'd suggest pulling the plugs for inspection and verifying the end gap.
If it stinks of fuel out of the tail pipe,there may be a bit of unburnt fuel getting through.A rich condition,poor spark,low compression.

I did notice on my 88 that the volts feeding the ignition coils and ignition module was a lower than the battery volts..
It ran OK but i think it suffered a bit on the spark.At the time,I measured 13.6 at the battery and right at 12 volts on the black/white wire feeding the coils.I did use a relay(direct battery powered) and bypassed the original wiring(using it to operate the relay) to get the coils good power.

Do scrutinize the choke mechanism at the carbs..Even tho the lever may be up,it's possible the "enriching valve" (choke) may not be shut completely off.The silly mechanism under the carbs has a small spring to do the job.I had a difficult time convincing mine to fully release and shut the valves...Turned out it was the choke cable routing..it put it a little bind and the spring wouldn't pull it closed.
I get about the same mileage...I know mine is a bit rich too...but rather that than too lean.I have heavily modified my fuel delivery system for the best twist of the throttle.
The plugs are reasonable too.
If nothing pans out..you can lower the fuel level a mm...but not more than 2mm.This will lean the overall system and takes hours to do.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:57 pm

kane67 wrote:Hello Gentlemen, Right side plugs looked a bit white (!) so I adjusted pilot more open and replaced plugs.
Starts great, no need to choke but if I use choke, longer than 30 sec, it starts to misfire a bit but when I turn choke off it runs nice. Changed idle jet to 55 (no signs of X, so recall not done...) Friend was driving behind me and he said it smells when accelerating strong..

The engine is loading up on fuel causing the rough running which requires turning the choke off prematurely or not using at all. Pilot screws get adjusted to be slightly on the lean side through the idle drop procedure.

From previous posts you have shimmed slide needles and done modifications to the accelerator pump to make it run richer and is what it is now.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

kane67

Postby kane67 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am

Yes, I have extra spring pulling the choke mechanism off. It did scare me last winter as it was a bit "on" and I wondered why it misfires idle/low rpm :shock:
What a feeling to find "choke on" and not any other problem after my vacuum/carb work.
That's why I put that spring back.

Next week I'll check the plugs. Maybe a compression test might be interesting to do.

Acc pump is back in original setup, no mods for slides/needles.

Sure it's better a bit rich than lean for this young 28 year old beauty as it runs so nice :D

thanks,

kane

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:42 am

If you have a volt meter for the bike,you may hook it to the black/white wire feeding the ECM.Its switched power and will show what's running the ignition.It really shouldn't be more than 0.5 volts less than the battery.

kane67

Postby kane67 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:33 pm

virgilmobile, you mean ECU as ignition control unit? I looked shop manual today and can't find ecu as a unit...
If yes, I can measure black/white ignition supply voltage from engine stop switch (?) as it's in same wireline from ICU unit to coils.
Checked from my friend where/how he smelled rich, he said not often and maybe like just when driving off from crossroads. Not higher speeds when passing others with "heavy acceleration".

I may be chasing "nothing to worry about" - thing but anyways more you know about Wing the better :D

I hope you understand my english :P

-kane-

kane67

Postby kane67 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:15 am

Okay, checked #5 and #6 plugs. They look clean dark grey, isolator clean white so almost like new plugs. Plugs been there about 3k miles. Not rich, not lean.
Charging @ battery 14.38V / 1250rpm and @ kill switch 13.68V / 1250rpm.

I found a small exhaust leak from rear left manifold, fixed that.

-kane-

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”