Rear Axle Collar/Spacer Size (GL1500A)

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DpaulTN
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Rear Axle Collar/Spacer Size (GL1500A)

Postby DpaulTN » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:40 am

I have the feeling and the evidence that the spacer on the rear axle is wrong.
I have been battling an issue where the brake caliper bracket is rubbing the rotor. After reading a number of posts that all agree that the bearings might be the issue, I went that direction. I have installed the new bearings and that the spacer is still flopping around inside the seal. The size of the spacer is 27mm diameter (inside bearing seal) X 30mm diameter (thin flange end) X 25mm length. Is this spacer the incorrect one? If so, do I need to go to the dealer, or is there a better choice for a vendor?

Here are the pictures:

Thank you for your help - Dave

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Rear Axle Collar/Spacer Size (GL1500A)

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:36 am

I've only had mine apart, once. But that length of 25mm, which is about 1", sounds a little short to me. But that's from memory. Maybe someone here has a spare laying around the shop, and can measure it for comparison. I've had virtually no luck getting parts from dealers for these old bikes. It's just as easy and fast to order from online vendors. And, the prices can sometimes be drastically less. I use Cyclemax and Partzilla for almost all my parts. They have both been very reliable and fast, with good prices. Since shipping is usually figured in, try to order anything else you can think of, at the same time. It divides the shipping cost between the parts.

Here is a picture of the collar from one of the How-To's on the forum, and a link to the How-To. It doesn't look quite like yours.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395
Attachments

DpaulTN
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Re: Rear Axle Collar/Spacer Size (GL1500A)

Postby DpaulTN » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Thank you for the reply and the photo. The spacer's outboard flange in your photo is much thicker than mine. I'm almost convinced that the spacer issue is the root of all my issues. Thank you for the thoughts and ideas.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”