Remove ISO Grips

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shomann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Remove ISO Grips

Postby shomann » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 am

Gents,

The PO installed Kuryakyn ISO Grips. I don't like them. How do I remove them?

It appears WIngs utilize handle bar end weights. I assume they have been removed? Do they screw in or are they pressed in?
Attachments

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Remove ISO Grips

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 pm

I have installed a set on two of the bikes that I've had.
There are no weights to worry about.
They just slide on, but they come with glue to hold them in place.
The left one shouldn't be an issue removing, just get a pair of pliers and turn until the glue breaks free.
The right one, with the throttle, you should be a lot more careful removing as not to damage the sleeve.
You might try putting a wrench on it and hammering it until it slides off.
Hopefully, someone else has a better solution.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:06 pm

I like the looks of those grips but I wouldn't want them either. My bike has some similar type grips installed by the PO.
Some of the chrome has flaked off and the metal has rust on it. The rubber leaves a black mark on the web of my hands after a while in the saddle.
I hope someone knows of an easy way to get these off.
Its not real high on my priority list, but it is something I do want to change.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Our GL1500 had similar grips, I didn't like them either.

I used a dremel tool with cutoff wheel to carefully and slowly cut through the hard metal parts and then they slid off easy enough ..... maybe use a razor to slit the rubber part.

I like the foam grips and that's what I use on both Wings & I keep spares on hand.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:21 pm

This is why I love this site so much. Ask a question, give it some time, bingo! Answer supplied by someone that's been there, done that. :D

I had not even thought about my dremel and cutting them off like that.
Thank you CrystalPistol! 8-)
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 pm

I did use an air compressor, blow air between the slive and the handle bar.
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 am

Most of those grips come with what they call grip glue but it is just a thick Cyanoacrylate or CA glue, commonly called Super Glue. They sell a debonder for CA glue but it is just Acetone. Same stuff that your wife may have used years ago to remove fingernail polish before they marketed the less volatile remover.

There is a Goof Off brand of Super Glue Remover. This stuff is available at Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart. You can remove the grips with it but you will have to make sure you protest the plastic parts on the bike. There is always the possibility that it will do some damage no mater what you use for a solvent.

I used just basic Acetone out of the gallon can to remove the Kuryakyn grips that were on my GL1800. The grips are still in good shape, I just didn't like them. I prefer the OEM grips.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

shomann

Postby shomann » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:43 am

I much prefer the OEM grips too. These are way too big and have a weird feel to them, plus they're ugly.

The left side should just twist off. I'm thinking a hack saw to open up the end of the throttle side and start bending back?

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:24 am

The left side should just twist off. I'm thinking a hack saw to open up the end of the throttle side and start bending back?

there are 3 small screws on the end and that will take the end piece off so you can blow air in to release it or poke it with a small flat screw driver.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:23 am

shomann wrote:It appears WIngs utilize handle bar end weights. I assume they have been removed? Do they screw in or are they pressed in?

The GL1500 does not use handlebar end weights. They were introduced to the wing with the GL1800.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:42 am

I really like the looks of those grips. To me, they feel good, but I've only tried them for a few minutes on someone else's bike.
The chrome was flaking off mine when I got it. Earlier I said it was rusting. Its not rust, maybe some kind of corrosion on the pot metal.
Anyhow, I think I'll go with the foam grips when its time to change.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 pm

New grips were not high on my "to do" list on the ' Wing. However when I came across a new pair or foam grips for $10, I got them.
With a pair of vice grips, I broke the old left side grip loose and slid it off. My new left side grip went on with a little muscle and a soapy water lube.
I had to cut the right side grip off. Didn't want to force it because I was afraid of breaking something which I have a bad habit of doing, it seems. :roll:
Anyhow, after I got the old one off, and after I cleaned up that plastic throttle tube thing, I slid the new grip on just a little to check the fit. Well it went fairly easy so I pushed a little more. Then it stuck. I couldn't get it back off. So I pushed it on all the way. Its tight and there's no adhesive on it.
The throttle seems to work just fine. I'm going to set it in the sun for a while. If it doesn't get loose, I'm not going to worry too much about it.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Oh, those new foam grips feel sooooo good! :D

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Shomann, hopefully by now, you have removed the screws from the end caps, and found when you take them off that the metal parts of the grips just fall away. The rubber insides then may need to be cut off, but if you are careful, hopefully you can get them off without damaging the OEM grips that should still be in place underneath.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:12 pm

themainviking wrote:...hopefully you can get them off without damaging the OEM grips that should still be in place underneath.

If they are ISO grips, I don't think there will be anything under the left one but handlebar and under the right one will be the throttle boss. The OEM grips had to be removed to install ISO grips.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:25 pm

MikeB wrote:
themainviking wrote:...hopefully you can get them off without damaging the OEM grips that should still be in place underneath.

If they are ISO grips, I don't think there will be anything under the left one but handlebar and under the right one will be the throttle boss. The OEM grips had to be removed to install ISO grips.

Oh, okay. I have them on my GL1800, but they must be different for that application. Mine went on right over the OEM grips. The attached picture in the original post showed the split metal with the screwed on end cap, which is where my reasoning came from.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Bigbiker0 wrote:I did use an air compressor, blow air between the slive and the handle bar.

That's how they always did it in the past, air pressure between the rubber and throttle tube.
IF it's re-sticking, squirt some nut buster and use the air pressure to push it in deeper.. .. .. she said.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

shomann

Postby shomann » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Guys, I haven't removed my grips yet. I called Kuryakyn and they said the best way to remove them is using bolt cutters, which I don't have. I could probably twist the left side off, but the throttle side would obviously have to be cut somehow. I'm a little nervous taking a hack saw to the end of it. When the cap is removed there is a substantial piece of metal to cut though.

I hate these things more every time I ride. I'll probably put a grip more like the OEM Honda grip on but I want to figure out the best way to get the throttle side off without doing any damage.
Attachments

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm

BOLT CUTTERS!!!!!?
WOAH STOP!

Few months ago my ISO grips were slipping. I added 2 layers of electrical tape on the throttle tube and it's snug.
There wasn't another grip under the ISO grip, just throttle tube.
Have you tried compressed air (CA) yet?

About last year, someone else had the same problem. On suggestion he tried CA but needed a second pair of hands.
One to work the CA the other to pull off the grip without squeezing the grip.

I just went out and looked at my backup set of bars, there are no holes except at the bars ends.
Plug up the right side grip using a finger or palm the hole closed and pull while pressurizing the left side hole. It should POP-OFF!

IF that don't work, those rubber pads (on mine are individual) should pull out one by one. That help break some of the grip if glue was used.

Minneapolis? I was just up there two weeks ago. :shock:
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

shomann

Postby shomann » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:16 pm

OK, I finally got around to removing the hated ISO grips. Certainly a pain compared to removing standard grips.

Lots of ways to go for the new grips, but I installed the OEM GL1500 grips from Ron Ayers for a whopping $13.49 for the pair. Love them! Throttle response is so much more controllable, handling feels better, steering feels better, grips are more comfortable...

A terrific improvement for next to nothing.
Attachments

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 pm

shomann wrote:OK, I finally got around to removing the hated ISO grips. Certainly a pain compared to removing standard grips.
Lots of ways to go for the new grips, but I installed the OEM GL1500 grips from Ron Ayers for a whopping $13.49 for the pair. Love them! Throttle response is so much more controllable, handling feels better, steering feels better, grips are more comfortable...
A terrific improvement for next to nothing.

What trick worked to remove your grips?

shomann

Postby shomann » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:16 pm

I started on the left side with a wire cutter (Kuryakyn recommended bolt cutters when I called them!) and cut the narrow metal bands between the rubber areas then ripped out chunks of rubber with a needle nose pliers. I cut the end with a hack saw after taking the end cap off. That loosened up things enough where I could pull the grip off. I thought the throttle side would be much trickier but I did things a bit different. I took a box cutter and cut down the rubber bumps cushions that stick out, then took pliers and just stated ripping chunks of rubber out. That eliminated enough material again where I could pull the grip off. That worked well and was much easier than the left side.

I procrastinated on getting this going as I was nervous about doing damage to the throttle side, but all worked out well. Wish I would have done it sooner as I like the OEM grips (who knows better than Honda?) so much better.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:49 pm

So I take it we have two different type of ISO grips made by the same company... ODD.
But glad to know what it takes sometimes to remove stubborn grips.

shomann

Postby shomann » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:59 pm

There's a picture of one on the throttle side with the end cap off about halfway through the thread. They seem to be very popular with Wing owners, but I really disliked them. Worth the effort to replace. Much better feel with the stock grips.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”