Fuel Tank Key change

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Fuel Tank Key change

Postby coldcanuk » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 pm

I think this has been posted before somewhere, but I could not find it. I decided to try and post a couple of pictures to show what I did.

A while back I was filling my bike with fuel and I had left my key in the lock. Well, due to being in too big of hurray I broke the key off in the fuel tank lid lock. Luckily I had a spare key with me and was able to get home. After getting the old key stem out of the lock I decided to try making what I had seen before. I got a couple of extra keys made and took one for my small project. I put the key into the fuel door lock and scribed each side so I knew where to cut off the head of the key. I cut it a little longer so it would fit into a extra radio knob that I had around. After a few tries on fitting the depth and grinding down a little, I got to the desired length of key. I also had to grind a small portion off of the top side of the key stem so it would fit into the radio knob. I used some "steel weld" and set the key stem into the knob. After letting it sit for 24 hours I tried it in the fuel tank lid and it works perfect. It also can be pulled out and used on the right side pocket lock. My concern was if left in overnight touring that someone could use it to start the bike. I also tried that, but the stem is too short to turn in the ignition. A little lucky on that I guess. I would probably still take it out during overnight trips.

coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Fuel Tank Key change

Postby coldcanuk » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 pm

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Fuel Tank Key change

Postby joeincalif » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:35 pm

That has been around for years, I always make them for the fuel door. when you cut the key it is to short to work in the ignition so there is no need to take it out of the fuel door. I made a couple for the saddle bags on myConcours 1400 and Nomad 1600 because you had to have the key to open the bags.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”