A couple questions...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

A couple questions...

Postby guitarzan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have 3 questions. I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500. I have in the first picture 2 (two) hex bolts Identified on Partzilla on a Frame Diagram as part number 90106-MN5-000 Bolt-Socket 10x28. I have looked all over for a torque value but I cant find one anywhere. Would anyone have any Idea of how tight I should tighten it. I'm trying to be real specific as to all torque values. Thank you.

The second picture shows my rear wheel mounted on the bike. Does that look right? I can't remember how much aluminum is suppose to show when the wheel is mounted. I thought more should be in the final drive. Does it look right?

My third question is this. Do I have to remove the rear wheel again to get the rear brake caliper back on the bracket, because I'm having a hard time getting the rear brake caliper to slide over and on the rotor. The caliper keeps hitting the rim of the wheel when I try to get it over the rotor.

I just want to get my bike running. This September will be 2 years it's been in my garage and I really want to get on it and ride but I want it right.

Thank you all.

Frank
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: A couple questions...

Postby MikeB » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Question number one, the torque values are on Page 6-7 of the Service Manual under Engine Installation.
40N-m or 29 ft-Lbs
Here is a picture of the page:

The rear wheel installation looks fine. Mine is the same way. It will only go on so far and still fit between the final drive and the left swing arm section. Spacers and axle fit right? The wheel spins freely correct? Then you got it right. I just re-installed mine two days ago.
As to the rear brake caliper, you will probably have to spread the pads to get them to go over the disk. It will go on as long as you have the caliper bracket installed properly.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:16 pm

I agree with Mike. :yup:
Bill

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:59 am

I too agree torque and rear wheel placement.

I believe the raised line in pix #2 just before it goes in the rear gear is basically a 'drip edge'. While riding, it's for water to whip off and not run into the rear gear bearing. If I were to design that, I'd put a row of lines there, both visual aesthetics and function.

It's also might be a location indicator, tho there's no other reference to reference it to.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:11 am

Over on the brake side .... you do have a large flat washer against the swing arm, then the caliper bracket, then the spacer that goes into the wheel seal ..... correct??? (that's a question)

Should look much like the pics below, even though the GL-1500 wheel, final, axle, brakes are all in a GL-1200 swing arm .... should look essentially .... "same". Also, the caliper should be able to be installed on the bracket with wheel in place.
Attachments

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I want to thank you guys for helping me the way you did. You looked things up, you put up pictures and diagrams and such great information. I kept looking on the swing arm diagram on partzilla and the frame diagram. I never would have thought have to looked at anything motor.

Thank you all again
Frank

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”