Exhaust issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Exhaust issue

Postby Breakdancer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:28 pm

After 1/2 a day of saying not so nice of words at my exhaust, I can not get them loose of the collectors. I want to change my rear wheel and also a little maintenance while I'm there, but I'm at an impasse. What is the secret guys?? I hosed it down with PB Blaster and am using a strap wrench. I'm just short of heating up the exhaust in line of the axle, and pounding a new dent in it to slide the axle out. :evil: Maybe I could loosen more of the exhaust and lower everything?? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Scott
PGR

Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Breakdancer

Re: Exhaust issue

Postby Breakdancer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Okay, ignore previous post. I got it... but it wasn't pretty. I would still like to know a better method (maybe the correct method), though so as that I don't trash the collector.

Scott
PGR
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 pm

remove it a little more often ? Every time I have my rear tire replaced, my mechanic removes the pipes. . . . not sure it is needed or if he does it to keep it "loose" so to speak for possible future work on the bike.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 am

On all my bikes I rotated the muffler clockwise a couple times then counterclockwise. After several back & forth of this, this opens/loosens where the collector clamps were.
After the initial removal I don't crank down on the clams bolts, only enough to keep the muffler snug. The single rear hangar bolt keeps the muffler from coming out. After a few hundred miles, at idle, use your hand to feel for escaping exhaust at those clamps.
Got smoke, like smoldering paper, use that to see if it's leaking.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 am

I thought after you unbolted the muffler from under the saddle bag you were supposed to remove the lower shock bolts, move the shocks away from the swing arm, raise the arm a bit to clear the muffler and then slide the axle out. Did I miss something in the owners manual?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Breakdancer

Postby Breakdancer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm

I was going off the "How to remove and replace your rear wheel" in the DIY section. Step 22 is to rotate the mufflers to give a straight shot for removing the axle. I've only had this bike 4 years and the first set of tires I had a Honda dealership do them. I figured with all the GREAT advice (and I mean that in the most sincere way), that I would take a poke at it myself. I'm not sure if the dealership ever had them broke loose or not.??.. Anyways right, wrong or otherwise, after removing the rear support bolt from the frame I gently pried the muffler down a smidgen to clear the axle. So far so good. Man I really love the pics. in the step by step. Invaluable for me. If your reading this WindAdmin, two thumbs up and a high five!! :D

Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”