Gas Cap Lockset

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Gas Cap Lockset

Postby Big Bob » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Has anyone here had the lockset for your gas cap, and or the locking compartment on the fairing fall apart to were your key no longer works, and little pieces of the lock come out of it?? Can a lock smith rebuild them, if so I'm sure it is $$$$ or is it smarter to order new ones from partzilla, honda parts.com or anyone else for around $30 and carry 2 different keys? Tell me your experience's if any. My second lockset just fell apart, so I can get to my gas cap to fill the bike, but it requires a little force on the plastic lid, and I don't want to break that piece too!! So what have others done to fix this problem!! Thanks for the help!!

Bob

Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Gas Cap Lockset

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 am

You can pick out the little plastic pieces in the lock..and it should work again. Lots of guys have two keys for various reasons..changed ignition, added bags etc. failed locks in general..you can have a new lock re keyed to fit your old key and you can do it your self. just make sure the new lock has the same style key as the old one and then take cylinder out..put the old key in the new lock cylinder and grin/sand the tabs that pop up to flush with the cylinder..now the old key works in the new lock
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:34 am

You can pry up the black lid over the filler neck, You can get a lock from Honda or find one on ebay. Make a key knob and leave it in the gas door and it won't matter if they ar4e different keys because you leave it in the door all the time.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:16 am

If carrying an extra key is not a problem for you, check Lowe's, Home Depot or any good hardware store for a similar lock.
Someone will have one for less than $30.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 am

From what I've read in other posts regarding the gas door & pocket locks, they are not re-keyable, nor repairable. They are not designed like other locks. One guy took it to a locksmith, and that was his determination. As was mentioned, there is a plastic cover just inside the lock that is prone to deteriorate with age and sun exposure. It breaks into little pieces that fall down inside the lock, stopping the key from being inserted. I pre-emtively removed the plastic and spring from mine before it reached that point. You have to have the lock out of the door and upside down to do it, so the pieces don't fall into the lock. If that is your problem, you may be able to clear out the plastic if you can get it upside down and play with it. Mine had apparently, already been replaced, as the ignition and gas door are 2 different keys.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:From what I've read in other posts regarding the gas door & pocket locks, they are not re-keyable, nor repairable. They are not designed like other locks. One guy took it to a locksmith, and that was his determination. As was mentioned, there is a plastic cover just inside the lock that is prone to deteriorate with age and sun exposure. It breaks into little pieces that fall down inside the lock, stopping the key from being inserted. I pre-emtively removed the plastic and spring from mine before it reached that point. You have to have the lock out of the door and upside down to do it, so the pieces don't fall into the lock. If that is your problem, you may be able to clear out the plastic if you can get it upside down and play with it. Mine had apparently, already been replaced, as the ignition and gas door are 2 different keys.

I took mine to a locksmith after the plastic cover inside broke and fouled the lock. He would have to destroy the chrome ring to open it up and re-key it, and then use a new chrome ring to crimp down and re-seal it. He looked everywhere for a chrome ring, and even posted it on a site used by locksmiths, and nobody had ever seen one. End result, the locks are not re-keyable nor repairable. As a result I now have two different keys, one for the gas flap, and one for everything else.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Big Bob » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks wing admin that's the road I figure is ahead for me!! ;)

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Well, I bought a few new rings from one of my local locksmiths..used them to rekey several locks..they are out there..of course he is now gone?? out of business..whatever..but he had a plastic box of rings of various sizes and metals..one can also if careful pry the edges up and then rebend to fit back on..I have done that once or twice too.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”