Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Davek80514
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Dacono, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Davek80514 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:02 pm



I turned the key off on my 92 gl1500 and the lights stayed on. Start button didn't work with key off. I had to disconnect the battery to kill the power. I'm thinking bad ignition switch.
How hard is it to replace?


Image

User avatar
Mh434
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Mh434 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:47 pm

It ain't necessarily the ignition switch - I had an accessory volts/clock/temperature etc. meter on the bike (came on the bike when I bought it used) and, when it failed, it caused the ignition to stay on, even with the key off & out. I messed with all sorts of stuff, trying to figure it out, until I noticed the display on the little accessory unit was messed up. The instant I disconnected it, all was back to normal.

Also, one of the relays (#3, IIRC) can cause ignition-switched items to have always-on symptoms (I had that happen, too).

I suspect one of those is more likely than a failed ignition switch (although, it certainly is possible).

Keep us posted as to what you find...sure as heck, someone else will benefit from your experience!!

User avatar
Davek80514
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Dacono, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Davek80514 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Where is Relay #3 located?
Image

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby MikeB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:04 pm

The relay panel is located just forward and a little behind the leading edge of the left saddle bag. To access the relays, you will have to take loose the left saddle bag and move it out slightly. I believe this can be done without removing the under trunk cover and possibly the seat.

Here is a drawing from the 1994 service manual:
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
Mh434
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 am

Yep - you don't have to remove the left saddlebag, but you do have to be able to move the leading edge out from the bike at least 1/2" to get at that relay.

Once you have access, you could try what I did, first - when I could get to the relay, I tapped on it with a screwdriver handle. There was a tiny "click" inside it, and everything suddenly reverted to normal. Those relays are mechanical devices internally, and do eventually fail. From what I've seen, a common failure is for them to stick "on". #3 activates several systems when the ignition is on, so when #3 sticks on, those items stay live, even with the ignition off.

Those relays are extremely reliable, but they don't last forever. BTW, you're unlikely to be able to source them locally, as they seem to be unique to Honda (and maybe to the GL1500!). WingAdmin, here on the forum, is not only the best source anywhere for replacements, but he's also the cheapest by quite a margin. In addition, he carries the actual OEM ones, not aftermarket. When my #3 failed, I ordered three replacements from WingAdmin, and I carry them tucked away in my saddlebag.

It's embarrassing to admit, but since I got the relays, I still haven't got around to replacing my #3 - the original's still in there. After the screwdriver-handle trick, it kept working, although it's on extremely borrowed time....

Best of luck, and let us know how it works out!

User avatar
Davek80514
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Dacono, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Davek80514 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:41 am

Mh434 wrote:Yep - you don't have to remove the left saddlebag, but you do have to be able to move the leading edge out from the bike at least 1/2" to get at that relay.

Once you have access, you could try what I did, first - when I could get to the relay, I tapped on it with a screwdriver handle. There was a tiny "click" inside it, and everything suddenly reverted to normal. Those relays are mechanical devices internally, and do eventually fail. From what I've seen, a common failure is for them to stick "on". #3 activates several systems when the ignition is on, so when #3 sticks on, those items stay live, even with the ignition off.

Those relays are extremely reliable, but they don't last forever. BTW, you're unlikely to be able to source them locally, as they seem to be unique to Honda (and maybe to the GL1500!). WingAdmin, here on the forum, is not only the best source anywhere for replacements, but he's also the cheapest by quite a margin. In addition, he carries the actual OEM ones, not aftermarket. When my #3 failed, I ordered three replacements from WingAdmin, and I carry them tucked away in my saddlebag.

It's embarrassing to admit, but since I got the relays, I still haven't got around to replacing my #3 - the original's still in there. After the screwdriver-handle trick, it kept working, although it's on extremely borrowed time....

Best of luck, and let us know how it works out!


Thank you for the information. Now that we're back from our 34th wedding anniversary, I can get it fixed.
Image

User avatar
Fiberthree
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Behind the windshield
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Davek80514 wrote:... Now that we're back from our 34th wedding anniversary...

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment these days.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

User avatar
Davek80514
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Dacono, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Davek80514 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm

Fiberthree wrote:
Davek80514 wrote:... Now that we're back from our 34th wedding anniversary...

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment these days.


Thanks...
Married 34 years together 38 years. We met July 1st, 1978 and we've been together ever since.
Image

User avatar
Davek80514
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Dacono, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Davek80514 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 pm

MikeB wrote:The relay panel is located just forward and a little behind the leading edge of the left saddle bag. To access the relays, you will have to take loose the left saddle bag and move it out slightly. I believe this can be done without removing the under trunk cover and possibly the seat.

Here is a drawing from the 1994 service manual:
RELAY #3.png


And the culprit responsible for all the headaches & drama was Relay #3!
Thanks to MikeB and everyone for the help & advice.
I'm back on the road again!!
:D
Image

User avatar
Mh434
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Bad ignition switch? 92 GL1500.

Postby Mh434 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:21 pm

The more I learn about GL1500's, the more I realize how few common problems they have...and how often those few occur! Sure helps the diagnoses, though!




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests