Stubborn windshield trim (garnish) screw

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Wghayes12
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing Limited

Stubborn windshield trim (garnish) screw

Postby Wghayes12 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Help!!! I have never posted a question before. Problem: While attempting to replace my 1999 GL1500 SE original winshield I have encountered a problem with removal of the right trim (windshield garnish) screw (left screw removed easily). Right screw refuses to loosen up no matter what I do. I tried a screw driver with firm pressure, impact driver, striking the end of the screw with a metal hammer (in case the screw threads were corroded somehow), WD40, and Liquid Wrench to no avail. The 1999 GL1500 SE is in showroom condition. I did not expect to run into this difficulty on such a simple job like a winshield replacement. I need help from the forum to solve this.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Stubborn windshield trim (garnish) screw

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 am

I can't picture that screw, or its general accessibility, but you might try Vice-Grips of an appropriate size and shape, gripping the outside of the screw head in an attempt to loosen it. I've had success with that more than once. Sometimes the grips have a tendency to slip off, but persistence can pay off. Other than that, drilling and a screw extractor may be your only other choice, but last resort, or drilling, and tapping the next size up. Is heat application an option ? Maybe a heat gun, instead of a torch. I'm surprised the impact driver won't work. That's a pretty hefty tool. PB Blaster might be a better choice as a penetrant, and give it some time, over night, to work. That assumes the issue is corrosion. It may be a cross threaded issue by previous removal. Those can be a bear.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 am

Are you using a JIS screwdriver to get a better grip? I've also used a little bit of valve grinding compound on the tip to help keep from slipping.
I know that those screws are hard to get to due to the angle and interference with the mirror, but using the break away function of the mirror helps get a better angle.
As Bluewaterhooker0 said, your best bet might be to get the screw out any way possible and then replace it with a new one.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:49 am

Depending on the size of the head of the screw and I presume this one could be countersunk as well.
If the head of the screw is raised above the general level- I would get a fine blade hacksaw and cut a slot in it. When the slot is deep enough I would use a centre punch and hammer, to tap the screw head in the outer part of the slot in the correct direction to undo it. Has worked for me a few times. :)

Wghayes12

Postby Wghayes12 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to my request for help. I will check to see if the head of the screw indicates JIS. I will try the PB Blaster and wait for it to work. I will then try heat and vise grips. The screw extractor and slot and center punch will be next. The screw looked like it had never been removed prior to me and the winshield looks like the original poly carbonate which has begun to shed its coating and is beginning to show signs of peeling. The bike had 12K miles on it when I purchased it 2 years ago. The windshield trim that I am referring to is the large plastic piece below the windshield and above the headlight assembly otherwise know as the "bug catcher". There are 2 screws that need to be removed (one on the left and one on the right) so that that trim piece can be removed in order to gain access to the screws that hold the windshield. The screws are raised and are not countersunk. I am trying not to cause more damage to the part that the screw goes into unless I can replace that part easily without replacing the fairing.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 am

HOPEFULLY those are not tempered screws.
Nut buster spray may not penetrate since the plastic is acting like a sealed washer.

Have you tried an OLD screwdriver and grind off about a 1/16 inch from the tip? Makes it fit ALMOST like a JIS bit.
Mid size hammer and twist and tap tight then loose back and forth many times. Eventually the vibration will loosen the bonding of the threads.
Sometimes this works, with the driver in the screw and pressing down firmly, tap the base of the screwdriver (nearest the screw) sideways in all directions.

HOPEFULLY YOU'LL GET'R ;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Wghayes12 wrote: I will check to see if the head of the screw indicates JIS.

Since the Goldwing is Japanese designed, all of the screws are JIS.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 am

NVSB4 wrote:
Wghayes12 wrote: I will check to see if the head of the screw indicates JIS.

Since the Goldwing is Japanese designed, all of the screws are JIS.

That is what I thought also but after digging to buy JIS bits I found this out.
Since roughly 2000 all Japanese Mfg's have been converting over to Phillips style screw heads.

JIS screws will have a single dot stamped in the head next to the cross.
The 3 Phillip 3 points and JIS single point are inside at the bottom of the screw.

ODDLY this looks like a pix is a Phillip style with a dot.
Last edited by FM-USA on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Wghayes12

Postby Wghayes12 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:34 am

So since this is a 1999. I should assume that it is a JIS...correct? I love the idea of removing 1/16" at the tip of a Phillips tip driver and all the other suggestions as well. I will take another stab at the stubborn screw shortly. I will remove the mirror to gain better access as I did previously.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am

Wghayes12 wrote:So since this is a 1999. I should assume that it is a JIS...correct? I love the idea of removing 1/16" at the tip of a Phillips tip driver and all the other suggestions as well. I will take another stab at the stubborn screw shortly. I will remove the mirror to gain better access as I did previously.

( UPDATED PIX ABOVE )

That 1/16" inch is an APPROXIMATE.
Grind a little at a time until the driver bit 'side lands' are JUST touching the screws edge, THEN ever so slightly round the bits very tip.
The deeper into the hole the better (ummmm, yes). It fills the screws hole (ahem), ummm... you know what I mean, The tighter the better, NO SLOP. (OH MAN Who named these parts?) :twisted:

Wghayes12

Postby Wghayes12 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Success!!! Two weeks went by from my first attempt at removing this stubborn screw prior to posting and requesting assistance from the forum yesterday Aug 1, 2016. As you recall, I tried a screw driver with firm pressure, impact driver, striking the end of the screw with a metal hammer (in case the screw threads were corroded somehow), WD40, and Liquid Wrench to no avail. Based on everyone's feedback today, I attempted the removal again this afternoon (Aug 2). The firm pressure on the phillips head still didn't work so I grabbed my Vise-Grips and clamped them with just the right pressure on the screw head at 90 degrees from the shank of the screw. Applying what seemed to be very little CCW pressure, the screw turned easily!!! I could not believe it!! Thanks for all of your suggestions of which I was prepared to try if the Vise-Grips were not successful.
Thanks to Bluewaterhooker0, NVSB4, Aussie81Interstate, FM-USA, and NVSB4 for giving me the remedies and the confidence to attempt the removal of this stubborn screw again. I am in all of your debt!!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Wghayes12 wrote:Success!!! ... Thanks for all of your suggestions of which I was prepared to try if the Vise-Grips were not successful. Thanks to Bluewaterhooker0, NVSB4, Aussie81Interstate, FM-USA, and NVSB4 for giving me the remedies and the confidence to attempt the removal of this stubborn screw again. I am in all of your debt!!

What did you learn from this?
DO NOT give a Gorilla a screwdriver.

Give him something like LUGGAGE to play with. :lol:

3 things you have going for you.
1.) A place and PEEPS who will help with OODLES of suggestions. (Eg: your list)
2.) That invisible tool that's hard to keep from loosing, patience.
3.) Vise-Grips and the "Handy-Dandy handyman's secrete weapon, Duct Tape".

Eventually one of our suggestions would'a got'r done.
It is ALWAYS the last suggestion that gets it. So next time, try the LAST one first. ;)

GLAD YOU GOT'R 8-)

Wghayes12

Postby Wghayes12 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm

FM-USA, a big thumbs up to all 3 of these. I am a true believer in all of them for sure.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:33 am

Wghayes12 wrote:Success!!! Two weeks went by from my first attempt at removing this stubborn screw prior to posting and requesting assistance from the forum yesterday Aug 1, 2016. As you recall, I tried a screw driver with firm pressure, impact driver, striking the end of the screw with a metal hammer (in case the screw threads were corroded somehow), WD40, and Liquid Wrench to no avail. Based on everyone's feedback today, I attempted the removal again this afternoon (Aug 2). The firm pressure on the phillips head still didn't work so I grabbed my Vise-Grips and clamped them with just the right pressure on the screw head at 90 degrees from the shank of the screw. Applying what seemed to be very little CCW pressure, the screw turned easily!!! I could not believe it!! Thanks for all of your suggestions of which I was prepared to try if the Vise-Grips were not successful.
Thanks to Bluewaterhooker0, NVSB4, Aussie81Interstate, FM-USA, and NVSB4 for giving me the remedies and the confidence to attempt the removal of this stubborn screw again. I am in all of your debt!!

I told you I'd had success with that method many times before. It's hard to duplicate the amount of torque on a small screw, that can be applied by a set of vice grips. The only drawbacks are, having enough screw head to get hold of, and the possibility of just snapping off the screw head with the very high torque. I've had both problems in the past. As I recall, It seems many of the GL1500 screws heads have nice tall, hefty sides to get hold of. I love it when a plan comes together :-)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”