Idle speed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Idle speed

Postby okstay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am

I have a 98 1500 Aspencade with 7,000 miles. It is all stock. The engine idles speed is very inconsistent. It varies from 600 to 2000 rpm.
The carbs are clean and the spark plugs are good. I would like some direction before I start to remove the plastic as to what the problem may be so I can order the part. I don't want to tear it down and have to wait for a part. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been one valuable website for me. Thanks for any help. Chris

P.s. Other than the idle speed, the bike runs well.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Idle speed

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am

A rough idle could be many things, but running up to 2000 rpm has me stumped.
Do an Advanced Search (top right) for idle surge and read through some of the posts.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:42 am

Problems I've found for surging idle.
First...one carb slow speed idle jet plugged.
Second...vacuum lines bad...You can find as many as seven different locations.
Being a 2 carb system,its pulling fuel from one carb to get it to go then as the engine levels out,theres not enough fuel being delivered to each half to keep it there...it slows back down..vacuum builds and it gets another gulp of fuel.
You can try some sea foam for a tank to see if it helps,but be prepared to pull the carbs for service and vacuum hose replacement just in case .

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 pm

An 18 year old Goldwing with only 7000 miles on the clock? Are you sure you did not mean 70,000 miles?

At any rate, if there are only 7000 miles, the carbs need to be removed and cleaned. The idle circuit is obviously clogged. The idle jets are always under the level of fuel in the float bowl and as such, they do get gummed and clogged. Even with 70,000 miles it is still a possibility that the jets are clogged. My 1999 with 159,00 miles in 2007 needed to have the carbs cleaned and rebuilt. What led me to believe that they needed to be cleaned was a malfunction much like yours. At idle it was unstable. Off idle it ran well and the fuel mileage was no different than it had been in previous years. They used a sonic cleaner to do the cleaning.

I was not too keen on doing the job myself so I had it done by a locally trusted Honda shop. The total for six hours of labor was $510. The total for parts was $232.51 including a new fuel filter and an air filter at Honda prices. It was worth it to me to have it done by that trusted shop. The bike ran great after that.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Sure sounds like the petcock is leaking.
Disassemble and check the diaphragm. Zero cost.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 am

Some will disagree, but I've been a believer in Seafoam since I first got my bike. It was suggested, and I tried it, with perfect results. Granted, my idle surge was more in the range of 750-1300, but the Seafoam treatment cleared mine up with 2 moderate applications. I continue to use it to this day, a very small dose, 2 ounces per tank, to keep it from redeveloping the issue (which it did after a few tanks of untreated gas). Given the degree of surge on yours, I would probably use an entire 16 oz. can in a tank of gas. It may take 2-3 treatments, but if it starts to improve at all after the first or maybe even second treatment, you'll know you're on the right path. Try to drive in such a way that you do an unusual amount of idling. You could even let it idle in the driveway for some extended time to work it through and around the idle jets. Let it sit overnight to soak the jets in the treated gas, as well. It's a cheap try, and I can assure you it worked for me, starting 4 years ago. I suspect the dosage for cleanup could go as high as 32 oz. per tank, without any harmful effects. That's still only a 48:1 ratio of fuel to treatment. It shouldn't effect the operation very much.

macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby macdaddykeith » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:28 pm

My bike was doing something similar. Last summer, I was diagnosed with very early stage of prostate cancer. That was in June and on Sept. 1 of the same year I had it fixed. I was off my ride until March. I tried ONCE to throw my leg across it and that did not happen again until March. So, it sat from September until March. I rode it a couple of miles and it seemed ok so I rode it 18 miles to work the next day. It did not make it... I had to go back and bring it home on a trailer. It had just quit and would not start. I finally got it to start but, it acted as if I had a lopey cam in it. After checking the hoses, the petcock, the fuel pump, everything, weeks later I decided to add about 1/2 bottle of Seafoam to the tank. I let it run for about 5 minutes and turned off till the next day. The next day, I cranked it and the same thing... :evil: So, I got a bottle of carb cleaner and started spraying around the slides and in all of the little holes and things in the top of the carbs while it was running. I would spray some down around the slides and started revving the throttle. I would romp really hard on it and then spray the cleaner. I did this consistently for about 5 minutes and let off the throttle. Amazingly, the idle went to its smooth idle and then it ran flawlessly. I rode the remainder of the full Seafoam mixed tank and filled it back up with Premium and it has not even fluttered. I was so happy to get some of my old life back... Maybe this will help... It did for my ride. :D

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:57 pm

I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. It turned out to be bad gas. As I was using the bike as my daily driver, I couldn't afford to take it out of service for several days of teardown & rebuild on the carbs. Here on the forum, some suggested Seafoam - a few treatments fixed it!

It took SEVERAL tanks of treated gas, but one day I noticed it had suddenly gotten a little smoother. Over the course of the next couple of days, it smoothed out completely & settled into an 850 RPM idle, which it has maintained ever since.

Sometimes it's worth trying the easiest thing first!

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:22 pm

macdaddykeith wrote:My bike was doing something similar. ... I rode it a couple of miles and it seemed ok so I rode it 18 miles to work the next day. It did not make it... I had to go back and bring it home on a trailer. It had just quit and would not start. I finally got it to start but, it acted as if I had a lopey cam in it. After checking the hoses, the petcock, the fuel pump, everything, weeks later I decided to add about 1/2 bottle of Seafoam to the tank. I let it run for about 5 minutes and turned off till the next day. The next day, I cranked it and the same thing... :evil: So, I got a bottle of carb cleaner and started spraying around the slides and in all of the little holes and things in the top of the carbs while it was running. I would spray some down around the slides and started revving the throttle. I would romp really hard on it and then spray the cleaner. I did this consistently for about 5 minutes and let off the throttle. Amazingly, the idle went to its smooth idle and then it ran flawlessly. I rode the remainder of the full Seafoam mixed tank and filled it back up with Premium and it has not even fluttered. I was so happy to get some of my old life back... Maybe this will help... It did for my ride. :D

THAT was your initiation to ethKRAPanol.
You're lucky it wasn't worse.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Yeah - alcohol in gas just allows the oil companies to force us to pay gasoline prices for cheap alcohol...and the alcohol allows the dirt, water, and other crap in their tanks to mix with the gasoline, and end up in our motorcycle tanks & engines. Marvellous. Just marvellous.

Csj992
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500l w/2012 Champion trike kit, 1998 Harley Road King.

Postby Csj992 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 am

Hey Chris. I had a similar problem although my rpms weren't as drastic as yours. After removing a lot of plastic and the carbs I could not find the problem. It was suggested that I check my petcock valve. That was the problem. You might want to check the valve before removing everything. Good luck, Charlie
Getting too old to have so many old vehicles. :P

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 am

Mh434 wrote:Yeah - alcohol in gas just allows the oil companies to force us to pay gasoline prices for cheap alcohol...and the alcohol allows the dirt, water, and other crap in their tanks to mix with the gasoline, and end up in our motorcycle tanks & engines. Marvellous. Just marvellous.

I'm beginning to think this is a Government conspiracy.
It's a FORCED way to slowly remove all our internal combustion vehicles, and go electric.

Also:
These autonomous cars will allow drunks a way home, thus bypassing cops giving DUI's.
Personally:
Can't wait for the SkyCar to be allowed in the skies. Was "supposed to be" in 2004 but our OL-Gov saw fit to hold it up. Eric's not happy about that.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”