'93 kill switch wont hurt a fly

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

'93 kill switch wont hurt a fly

Postby dvcruz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi.

The kill switch on my new-to-me '93 won't stop the engine in either "kill" position. I took it apart and cleaned the contact areas (which weren't bad looking at all) but it still won't stop the engine. All the other lights, radio, switches work, but not this switch.

I thought I saw a post on this subject once, but I couldn't find it.

Any thoughts?
dvc

Back in the San Diego area!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: '93 kill switch wont hurt a fly

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:06 am

Silly question, but it wasn't bypassed at the switch, was it ? Some folks connect the 2 wires together under the switch due to switch issues. They should connect at 2 different places under the switch for proper operation. You should also check that the switch operates properly with a VOM or test light. It should have continuity in RUN and none in OFF or STOP.If not, it was probably bypassed somewhere up the line.

It's first connection point is C57 in the drawings, behind the right side of the fairing. You might look for an intentional bypass at that point. If so, I would check also for a grounded situation in that harness, which might explain why it was bypassed.
Attachments

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 am

Bluewaterhooker0 is spot on about the switch. If it wasn't intentionally bypassed in the handlebar pod the other possibility is the wires are pinched somewhere. Were there any other accessories that the PO installed?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

dvcruz
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby dvcruz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks for both replies.

The PO put on a lot of accessories - lights, modulators, heated gloves, CB radio, 3 cigarette lighter sockets (?), etc. So, I guess that's behind the problem somewhere. I was just wondering if it (kill switch) ran off of a relay or fuse on it's own somewhere. I guess I'll start tracking down the wires and see where they lead to.

On a related question, maybe, should the bike start if the main fuse is blown? I blew mine and lost all the lights but the bike started right up.

Thank you.
dvc

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 pm

The kill switch gets its power from relay 6.
If you are talking about the 55A main fuse, that is in the charging circuit with a lead that runs through fuse 8 which goes to your running lights. It appears the engine will start with that fuse being out.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:12 pm

If fuse #11, or relay #6, according to the diagram, were lost, the bike wouldn't run at all. The kill switch breaks that circuit. It is a powered circuit, so a 'pinch', which would most likely be to the frame, would blow fuse #11. I think you are looking for a bypass somewhere. Just about any other situation would cause the opposite of your problem, the bike wouldn't run.

dvcruz
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby dvcruz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:04 am

Okay. Fuses and relays are good. I will start tracing the wiring and see what I can find.

In answer to an earlier post, yes, the main 55a fuse was blown but the bike starts up fine without it. But you have zero lights, including the headlights. Still, might be good to know in an emergency.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”