needing help.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigkevinlex
Motorcycle: 92 1500

needing help.

Postby bigkevinlex » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 am

Ok Goldwing family. I have a problem with my 92 1500. After a ride, when I stop my bike it doesn't want to restart. Though after about a 35 minute sit she will start up. I've bought a new battery not even a week ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: needing help.

Postby Happytrails » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Could possibly be the gas cap? If it happens again you can try losening the gas cap and see if the bike wont start.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

sanglasmick
Motorcycle: GL1500 1996.

Postby sanglasmick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:01 am

Don't know if you got sorted or not, but this is a classic symptom of a bad ignition coil also.

Just my 2 bits worth.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm

bigkevinlex, did the problem exist before you bought the new battery, initialized it with a full charge and then installed it? Or did it all start with the new battery?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:59 pm

When you say it wont start-up, what does it do? If you press the starter button, does the starter motor turn? Does the engine crank over but just not fire up? What actually happens when you try to start it up after stopping? As you are aware, you need a few items, fuel, spark & compression. If the starter motor is turning over the engine when you press the start button then one of those 3 items is missing. It could be a blocked fuel filter or a blocked fuel tank breather preventing fuel getting to the carbs (if you wait long enough (35 minutes) maybe enough fuel has leaked back into the carbs to let it start?). it could be a lack of spark (bad ignition coil or maybe a defective ignition switch (switching out the load resistors for the coils when starting), or a bad CDI!! It's unlikely to be compression, but if the valve clearances are not correct (too small) it could be a valve being held partially open when the engine gets hot, causing a lack of compression and hence a problem to start. If you can describe what happens when you press the start button, but it doesn't start it would help provide a better list of things to check. I personally would start with the following:-

Check inline fuel filter, remove a fuel feed to the carb and put it into a container and then turn on the ignition and let the fuel run out for a minute or so and see if the flow drops off, indicating a blocked filter, blocked fuel tank breather or defective fuel pump. If the fuel test seems good (ie fuel comes out at a constant rate for a minute or so) then I would be looking to check the valve clearances (to verify a valve is not burning out) and finally I would be looking to try and swap out the ignition coils to see if the problem goes away.

Gary

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”