Drive shaft won't go back in

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Drive shaft won't go back in

Postby Breakdancer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:49 pm

I read Wingadmins' post about starting the bike and putting it in reverse and the drive shaft will slide right in. The problem comes as the bike is not running right now, so reverse is not an option. I'm at an impasse. :x I know force is not the answer, it came out easy enough, Are there any more tricks? I really would like to ride this bike before the snow flies.

Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Breakdancer

Re: Drive shaft won't go back in

Postby Breakdancer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 pm

HA!!! I got it :D After further research I saw a DIY article on replacing your U-joint. Then the light bulb came on. Pull the boot back on the U-joint and rotate manually. I cant believe how simple that was. I'm embarrassed I even made this post. :oops: . Some times when things don't go as planned it's best to walk away for a bit. And I know that's been discussed here also. Beer break. :lol: Cheers.
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Don't feel bad. I've been in the AC business for 25 years, and I just got back from a customers house for the 3rd time, only to find that the noise issue from a fan motor replacement, on which we already replaced the motor for a 2nd time, was the motor shaft EVER so slightly touching the fan grill guard above it. Do I look like a dumb ass or what ? In my defense, I did have 2 other guys that work for me do the replacements. But, I was there and put my blessing on the events :-(

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:11 am

Aren't you glad we were here to help? :D
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Breakdancer

Postby Breakdancer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:36 am

dingdong wrote:Aren't you glad we were here to help? :D

No one here will ever know how much everyone has helped me. Not only with turning wrenches, but with advice ranging from riding skills to helmet and tire reviews and everything in between. I also think I'm a better person since finding this web site. What a great bunch of guys that hang out here!! It's like you make friends that you have never met. Also Kudos to Wingadmin for the DIY section. Pictures truly are worth a thousand words. ;)

Regards,
Scott
PGR
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:49 am

Breakdancer wrote:

No one here will ever know how much everyone has helped me. Not only with turning wrenches, but with advice ranging from riding skills to helmet and tire reviews and everything in between. I also think I'm a better person since finding this web site. What a great bunch of guys that hang out here!! It's like you make friends that you have never met. Also Kudos to Wingadmin for the DIY section. Pictures truly are worth a thousand words. ;)

Regards,
Scott
PGR

Ditto !
I've been on several automotive forums for Mustangs, Expeditions, and Explorers, and there is nothing that even touches the level of advice, response time, and accuracy of this forum. Nothing ! It must be characteristic of bikers in general.....or at least Goldwing riders :-) This is a great, irreplaceable site !

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Breakdancer wrote:

Regards,
Scott
PGR

Well thanks! But I was making a joke because you happened to solve your own problem without any help. :D
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Postby TAZZ » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Breakdancer wrote:

Regards,
Scott
PGR
You took the words out of my mouth Scott I got more HELP here than any where else. ALL you guys have been a BIG help to me TOO.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”