Upgrading of GL 1500 Alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
FreeSwede
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

Upgrading of GL 1500 Alternator

Postby FreeSwede » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 am

With additional LED lights and accessories added to my 1989 Gl1500 Trike, the alternator can't keep up with the current flow required. I have read that these early 89 1500s have weak Alternators anyway. Any one out there who can recommend where I can get the strongest and best new Alternator for my 89 Gl1500 Trike? Additional recommendations and suggestions are also much appreciated.
FreeSwede

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Re: Upgrading of GL 1500 Alternator

Postby flyinrob » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:10 am

Many choices out there for an upgraded alt. I have an LActrical 85 amp that runs everything just fine. At idle rpm's it is charging at almost 14 volts. It is available on Amazon for maybe 160 bucks or so. Some folks swear by a Compufire and I am sure they are good its just the price tag is almost double for it.

My personal experience is the Lactrical is just fine. I do a lot of PGR missions and will run four ways, cb, and everything else and it is still charging at close to 14 volts moving along very slowly.

Rob

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Upgrading of GL 1500 Alternator

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:27 pm

I run a Lactrical 85A, as well. Got about 5K miles on it now, with no issues other than a bit more noise than the stock. From my readings on these and other pages, the extra noise seems to be characteristic of the higher output alternators. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. It works just as described. 14V pretty much all the time, with minor fluctuations, a few 1/10's of a volt. Some people have had bad experiences with the Lactricals, but there have been problems with other brands, as well. It appears most, if not all of these newer, higher output units, not to mention the stock OEM Honda units, are made in China these days. :-( They're not exactly known for their consistency in manufacturing, or their quality in general. So, not a lot of choices. I went with the 85A, assuming the slightly smaller size would be an easier install. However, the picture they show in their ads does not match the actual unit. It looks like they used a picture of a Honda stock alternator. That being said, the install was about as easy as it gets, I suppose. It's a tight fit no matter which one you get. But, you will love the solid voltage output of the higher output units. No more dimming lights with brake application, or brightening of the headlights when you rev the engine.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”