GL1500 No Bright Headlight on the right.... Left OK...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Williep53
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing and 1995 goldwing

GL1500 No Bright Headlight on the right.... Left OK...

Postby Williep53 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:36 pm

My fellow riders..... I have a 95 GL1500 Asp. I was riding the other day and saw that I only had one light lit on the left side headlight. I am thinling bulb.... Got home and removed the bulb and it checks out to be OK. I checked the voltage on the right plug and it was showing 4.4 Volts. I would like to add that the Left light works on both High and Low..... The right side don't work at all. I have checked the fuse and relay and both are working...... What am I overlooking and what do I need to do to fix this problem..... Looking for any ideas or help...... :?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: GL1500 No Bright Headlight on the right.... Left OK...

Postby ct1500 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Test for the proper 12 volts on the white/black wire going into the socket. If 12V there then the socket is at fault, if still 4.4V then open the harness up back to the splice for the left side light and repair there. You are taking voltage readings from a good ground location and not the socket, right?
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Williep53
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing and 1995 goldwing

Re: GL1500 No Bright Headlight on the right.... Left OK...

Postby Williep53 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:50 am

TO: ct1500

Took your advice and rechecked the power this time to the frame. Received a higher reading... Thank you. I also traced the wires and found a black box (approx 1" thick and 3X3" square) Nothing on the box to tell me what it was. The box had a wire going to the ACC port on the fuse box... It also has 3 headlight plugs wired into it. One of the headlight plugs has been cut off and 3 blade connectors crimped to the wires. This devise was plugged into the factory right headlight plug. The right plug was replaced by one of the other headlight plugs coming out of the this black box.... I disconnected the black box and all is working well.... It dose not appear to be affecting anything else (IE Turn, Running, 4 ways, or gauges.) I don't know if this box is a headlight modulator or what? I have seen some models, but nothing like this one. Once again thanks for your input and keep sharing. Ride safe.
Williep53

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”