Replacing CB Antenna with Firestick

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
zandersn
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Replacing CB Antenna with Firestick

Postby zandersn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:48 am

I was wondering if anyone has replaced their stock CB antenna with a better and newer one to help improve the range on their CB. I used a No Ground Plane Firestik on my previous bike and was thinking of getting one for my GL1500SE. I'm just not sure how the holes will line up and if if will make a drastic improvement that will make it worth the trouble. If anyone has any opinions or has made replacements to their CB or AM/FM stock antenna, please let me know and share your thoughts.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Replacing CB Antenna with Firestick

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:42 am

The Firestick will NOT fit in the stock antenna mount, differant thread count. . . . . Now that said, there is hope ! Sierra Electronics offers two solutions, a replacement fold over mount with the right thread count for a Firestick :
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-BRKOVR
and a non foldover style :
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... %2F15-ADPT
I have the fold over style on my bike with a 3' Firestick style antenna right now, and my "ears" are better, but I have no idea on transmitting as I do not have a mic . I am getting a second foldover style and them I will be going to a pair of 1' Firesticks (mostly for looks) as 95% of my tunes are now MP3 and I do not use the CB
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:42 am

Uncle Fester wrote:... I am getting a second foldover style and them I will be going to a pair of 1' Firesticks (mostly for looks) as 95% of my tunes are now MP3 and I do not use the CB

For looks?
Also wear an all white helmet. Not only will you get looks but the road your on... will magically clear in front of you.
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:05 am

FM-USA wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:... I am getting a second foldover style and them I will be going to a pair of 1' Firesticks (mostly for looks) as 95% of my tunes are now MP3 and I do not use the CB

For looks?
Also wear an all white helmet. Not only will you get looks but the road your on... will magically clear in front of you.
;)

LOL Not quite what I meant , but yeah ! :D

I was more referring to not having the bike look weird with no antennas on it as the stereo I have decided to use has no AM/FM, so no real reason to have antennas at all, but a 'Wing looks strange (to me) with out antennas.

For those who are interested, I am going to use a Kicker PXi 250 (wired) iPod/Iphone controller and four Kenwood speakers, two 4" and two 6.5" all mounted up front.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4IbhcuzrFO ... I50-2.html
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Unless youre planning to install a 102" whip, you wont see much difference. Any loaded antenna (shortened) will be a sacrifice.
Even 'no ground plane' antennas require a counterpoise, normally the coax. And theres really not enough coax on a Goldwing for proper counterpoise anyway. You'd need a 1/4 wave at minimum.
The downfalls of the CB antenna is mostly the shortened length, and lack of good counterpoise.
Properly tuning the antenna will be the best option to get the most out of it that you can.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 pm

bntyhntr6975 wrote:Unless youre planning to install a 102" whip, you wont see much difference. Any loaded antenna (shortened) will be a sacrifice.
Even 'no ground plane' antennas require a counterpoise, normally the coax. And theres really not enough coax on a Goldwing for proper counterpoise anyway. You'd need a 1/4 wave at minimum.
The downfalls of the CB antenna is mostly the shortened length, and lack of good counterpoise.
Properly tuning the antenna will be the best option to get the most out of it that you can.

^^^^ this. Exactly. Tuning the antenna will do more than any replacement might hope to do (barring using a 102" whip as mentioned).

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”