New Look for all the Plastic

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DpaulTN
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

New Look for all the Plastic

Postby DpaulTN » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 am

I'm looking to add vinyl stickers or something like that to all the dashboard plastic of my GL1500. They look like carbon fiber, for instance. Is there something like this where all the pieces are all ready cut, or is it easier to buy a roll of the vinyl and break out the head gun?

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: New Look for all the Plastic

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:14 pm

You could try this place.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 pm

I do not know of any precut stuff, but that does NOT mean it is not out there.

I think what I would do is go to a "Vehicle Wrap" place with the pieces you want done and have them do it.

There is one other option that I know of, Hydro-Dipping

and there are a number of companies who do it.
There is one company I know of who has experience with Gold Wing parts in general ( http://WWW.MYWINGBLING.COM ) and I have not heard any bad about them . . . . .

WOW ! I just looked at wing bling's page and they are closed/closing ! They have a 2016 schedule posted up to just after Wing Ding in Billings, so they are not dead yet, if you like that idea and want to use them, better hustle !

Good luck on your decision and if you do one of these options, or come up with one of your own, post pictures !
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:44 am

NVSB4 wrote:You could try this place.

Wing Bling has some great stuff but it is not the overlay stuff. It is replacements parts and they are not cheap. But they are good
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Not sure about pre-cut stuff. I've seen stickon woodgrain and what I thought was carbon fiber looking plastic. Not sure how nice it is up close. I did a vinyl wrap on a couple of pieces on my bike. Really like how it turned out.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Happytrails wrote:Not sure about pre-cut stuff. I've seen stickon woodgrain and what I thought was carbon fiber looking plastic. Not sure how nice it is up close. I did a vinyl wrap on a couple of pieces on my bike. Really like how it turned out.

goldwingback02_zpsb8fcc3e0.jpg

HAPPYTRAILS, that looks cool, might I suggest a brown or gold carbon fiber wrap next time ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
Happytrails wrote:Not sure about pre-cut stuff. I've seen stickon woodgrain and what I thought was carbon fiber looking plastic. Not sure how nice it is up close. I did a vinyl wrap on a couple of pieces on my bike. Really like how it turned out.

HAPPYTRAILS, that looks cool, might I suggest a brown or gold carbon fiber wrap next time ?

Thanks! Yes I had the same thoughts. Have been watching some gold carbon fiber on ebay for the longest time. Its like a blend of orange'ish gold and black carbon fiber. Looks pretty wicked. The only thing is that it looks really nice now I just haven't felt that I was ready to switch it up just yet. And I really like that it would be easy to change and fun to do. :D I tried not to go overboard and wrap too much or wrap the wrong parts. To me that might cheapen the look a little. The regular carbon fiber is slightly subtle. I would guess that most people who look at my bike never even notice the carbon fiber or just think that it was a stock thing.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:37 am

Happytrails wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

Thanks! Yes I had the same thoughts. Have been watching some gold carbon fiber on ebay for the longest time. Its like a blend of orange'ish gold and black carbon fiber. Looks pretty wicked. The only thing is that it looks really nice now I just haven't felt that I was ready to switch it up just yet. And I really like that it would be easy to change and fun to do. :D I tried not to go overboard and wrap too much or wrap the wrong parts. To me that might cheapen the look a little. The regular carbon fiber is slightly subtle. I would guess that most people who look at my bike never even notice the carbon fiber or just think that it was a stock thing.

I hear ya on over doing it, I have decided I am going to paint the fun door, stereo cover, and speaker grills the same blue as the bike, and the rest of the dash parts (currently grey) will be black. Also the rear seat storage pockets and rear speaker pods will be black and rear speaker grills will be blue. . . . I just hope it does not turn out to be too much ! I am also leaning towards blacking out all the chrome over time as I am NOT a fan of chrome ! LOL

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”