Rough Idle and Takeoff

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Rough Idle and Takeoff

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 pm

My 92 Interstate was running great two years ago when I bought it and for a couple thousand miles everything was smooth. Then after about two thousand miles it started to drop one cylinder on take off. Once moving it smoothed out and was OK. I changed the spark plugs and everything was good again. After about two thousand miles the problem returned and I changed spark plugs again. And, as before it ran smooth again. Last week it started again to drop a cylinder on takeoff. After removing the lower Tupperware I pulled all the plug wires off and just set them back in place. I started it up and let it run for a minute or two. Then I started pulling the plug wires off, one at a time, and on every cylinder I could hear a good hot spark except for the left rear which I could not even hear a spark at all. So I just changed out that plug and it was running good again. This time after about two hundred miles it is doing it again but, this time it is idling really low and has stalled a few times when I have to stop. The first time it did this I ran two tanks of gas with half can of SeaFoam and after that I put two ounces of SeaFoam in every full tank. I have even tried some ethanol free gas but didn't seem to help. I have not checked vacuum hoses or carbs yet but, I am thinking it may be a spark plug wire or one of the coils for that cylinder. It uses a little oil and I get over forty MPG consistently. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Rough Idle and Takeoff

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Does the condition of that plug reveal anything ? Color, carbon buildup, etc ? Don't these bikes only have 3 ignition coils ? If so, that would seem to rule out a coil problem on only one cylinder. With only 2 carburetor throats feeding 3 cylinders, it would also not seem likely a carburetor issue. That might point to an ignition wire problem, valve issue, compression issue, or plug seating issue. That's my bet guess.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”