Polishing my Windshield

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Polishing my Windshield

Postby guitarzan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi, I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 and the windshield has seen better days. Is there a way of polishing the windshield to get some of the circular scratches out? What can I use and do you use a circular motion?

Thank you

Frank

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Polishing my Windshield

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:23 am

Depends if it is a OEM or aftermarket hard coated Lexan wind shield or a Plexiglass or Lexan non coated version.

Usually the hard coated ones suffer damage when the coating peals if it does. Usually made of hard coated MR-10 hard coated Lexan or older coated product. They are tougher to scratch and tougher to polish if scratched. Plexiglass is also popular, it will scratch easier but ..... it polishes well. Plain Lexan is seldom used, it's very soft and scratches easily but is yielding without breaking which is why it works well as a bas to hard coat. There are some older plain Lexan shields with no coating, they are "awful".

Plast-X or other plastic polish and some elbow grease .... clean cotton or terry polishing cloth, a buffing ..... try it out.

I have used my Porter Cable DA buffer to polish a bad spot on an otherwise serviceable Plexiglass shield and saved it.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:25 am

Your avatar on this site shows your GL1500 and it appears that you have either a Tulsa Enterprises or Slipstreamer windshield.

I have used NOVUS Plastic Clean & Shine No. 1 and NOVUS Fine Scratch Remover No. 2 with excellent results on my Tulsa Enterprises windshields. I also had a Slipstreamer Tulsa style windshield that it worked very well on. I can't say I know anything about the material used in these windshields but I do know that the plastic polish did a great job in cleaning up the scratches and clearing up the shields. I just followed the instructions on the bottle.

I routinely use Sumner Laboratories 210 Plastic Cleaner and Polish to clean my windshields. The Tulsa Enterprises windshield on my GL1500 was installed in 2004 and now has 157,000 miles of use and it is still nice and clear. When cleaning the windshields, I follow the instructions I received with he windshields from Tulsa using the 210 Polish.

Here’s how Allen Smith, of Tulsa Enterprises tells his customers to clean their windshields.

Step 1. Use a wet, not damp, wash cloth or hand towel you keep for that purpose in a plastic zip-lock bag inside your Wing’s travel trunk. Allow the water to soften the dried-on bugs. Work cross-wise and up and down; if you use a circular motion you tend, unconsciously, to increase the rag pressure and scrub harder than you need to. Also, if there’s any grit on the cloth to gouge the surface, circular scratches are more annoying to the eye than straight ones. (By the way, I don’t use diaper material because the tightness of the weave tends to pick up and retain grit.) Soft terry cloth is the best for the initial soaking and wiping.

Step 2. With the windshield still wet, sparingly spray on some of Sumner Laboratories product called 210®. Using clean tee-shirt material, gently wipe the windshield dry, again using straight back-and-forth motions. Sumner’s 210® is available through many motorcycle and plastic supply houses (and Tulsa Enterprises carries it too!). it’s specifically formulated for use on Lucite or Lexan. Besides being anti-static and anti-fog, it helps seal the pores of plastic and leaves a protective coating. As with any product you’ve not tried before, test it on a small area of the windshield.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bcarnold
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby bcarnold » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:43 am

I think I have a Memphis Shades that was installed by the previous owner and several years ago the clear coat started to craze over and turn yellow.

I figured as long as the windshield was going bad I had nothing to loose in the way of trying to fix so I took some 2" blue painters masking tape and cover one side and it pulled off the clear-coat and it left me with a scratch free surface. I did the same to the other side and then waxed both sides and it worked for several years.

A few months ago it started to turn yellow so I picked up headlight restore kit with the extra fine grit paper and invested several hours polishing out the yellow and the circular scratches. It now looks good again.

Just remember that on the last polish compound to polish either horizontally or vertically but do not use a circular motion.

Good Luck

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 pm

I want to thank you guys for the information. I have the windshield off, is there a way to tell what it's made of? You guys are the best. I really appreciate all that you did to help me.

Thanks
Frank

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:05 pm

There should be a label in one of the corners that says what it is.. If you know who made the shield, you can go on line and look up the composition.
Bill

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks, I'll go look right now. Thank you

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”