Front Shocks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
JAcossey
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Front Shocks

Postby JAcossey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello fellows,
I recently purchased a 1997 1500 SE. (a little upgrade from my 1200 LTD!)And I am loving it!! I have put about 400 miles on it. Yesterday i notice a funny thump in the front end when I applied the brakes. Today I started investigating and I found a good bit of play in the shocks front to back. That is me sitting in front of the bike with the tire off the ground and pulling and pushing front to back. This play is in the shock body (cylinder) and not the stem (shaft) or at least I think so. I checked the steering bearings and they really didn't seem to bad. You can sit on the bike with the front brake applied and you can feel some movement in the forks. Any suggestions on what to check and is it safe to ride? And also I really enjoy GoldwingDocs. You folks are great!!!

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: Front Shocks

Postby keithg64 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:03 pm

From your description it sounds like your steering head bearings are loose. To check push and pull on the front tire with the tire off the ground. If there is any movement at all it should be re-torqued or replaced .
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby Scooter363y » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:30 pm

If you are lucky your forks have a set of replaceable bushings. A front fork rebuild is not that bad of a job. Combine this with a spring and fork oil change/upgrade get more done in one job. Do you need a front tire or install Centramatics this would be a good time for that too!

Scott

I just installed elite 4's and centramatic wheel balancers and they are great!

JAcossey

Postby JAcossey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I decided to go ahead and do both forks and steering while i have it apart. Just seems like the logical thing to do.

am3098
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby am3098 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:36 pm

I agree with Scott in terms of upgrading your front suspension. I'm on my 2nd 1500 and on both of them I upgraded the front springs to Progressive spring http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... 158744/613 , for just over $100, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. My first 1500 felt like a Buick in the curves; the Progressives took care of that.

Another suggestion while your into the front end is to install a Super Brace http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... ace/86/611 . The forks are supported at the top and bottom, but not so much in the center.

Enjoy your 1500; I transitioned from a 1200 to a 1500 12 years ago and have really enjoyed the 1500. The 1800 is a fantastic machine, but at 6'1", my 1500 just fits better, so I'll hang onto her for a few more years.

AJ
A.J. Musial
USAF Reserve Retired
West Farmington, OH
94 1500SE
02 Bushtec

"A Veteran - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the U.S.A., in the amount of up to and including their life"

JAcossey

Postby JAcossey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks am3098 for the reply. I have decided to do just that! I will look into the super brace too. I think it will be good investment. I have several things to do the bike when i get the money. It has been neglected a bit from previous owner on maintenance. Those things come first and then other goodies!! Thanks again for the advice.

Rwilkerson
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Gl 1800

Postby Rwilkerson » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:42 am

JAcossey wrote:Thanks am3098 for the reply. I have decided to do just that! I will look into the super brace too. I think it will be good investment. I have several things to do the bike when i get the money. It has been neglected a bit from previous owner on maintenance. Those things come first and then other goodies!! Thanks again for the advice.

I did the fork rebuild at the first of this year. If you look around some sell the kits that will have every thing you need and utube has vid's. I weigh 300 and with a rider much more. I contacted Traxxon and they provided me with the right spring set up and were a few $$ less than progressive. All totaled fork rebuild cost me about $ 250.00 give or take a few bucks. The work is quite simple but dirty due to the oil make sure you get your oil level to spec and use Honda Oil. (ss8) on mine.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 am

JAcossey wrote:Hello fellows,
This play is in the shock body (cylinder) and not the stem (shaft) or at least I think so. I checked the steering bearings and they really didn't seem to bad. You can sit on the bike with the front brake applied and you can feel some movement in the forks. Any suggestions on what to check and is it safe to ride? And also I really enjoy GoldwingDocs. You folks are great!!!

Sounds to me like work front fork bushings ... tnhere are two in each fork lower that guide them on the tubes.

Could be stem bearings but up through the all 1500s, they come with robust long lasting tapered roller bearings from the factory and many go hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

I can't over recommend Progressive Suspension front fork springs .... with NO air. Great upgrade .... as are their 416 series rear shocks.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”