cruising without cruise control -- YUCK

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE

cruising without cruise control -- YUCK

Postby LDodge » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:17 pm

I have a ’95 SE model and the cruise doesn’t work. The light will turn on when I turn on the cruise, but it will not engage. I had a friend test all the switches on the brakes / clutch and all were good. He was trying to dig deeper and ran out of time but thought it might have something to do with the accumulator but he didn’t know how to test that. Also something that might help is that my speedometer cable likes to whistle on cold days even though I have changed the cable drive on the wheel and replaced the cable which I have lubricated twice – once with graphite and once with gun oil; not sure if this is a contributory issue or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I ride over 100 miles daily and my elbow is getting stiff since I can’t really stretch it out.
Thanks in advance
Lawrence

Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: cruising without cruise control -- YUCK

Postby CrystalPistol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I know you want the CC fixed .... but just as a temporary thing to help with getting some relief on that 100 mile daily ride .... maybe consider a "Vista Cruise" and maybe a Palm Rest?

My '97 SE Trike has CC but I almost never ever use it. I started out with Britt bikes and grubbing screws that you snug up on the throttle to create a friction fit that allows one to relax, even take hands off the grip without loosing throttle. When I bought my GL1200, I fitted it with a similar device, a "Vista Cruise" which is a simple to activate friction brake which is adjusted by the installer with a screw driver to provide just enough friction to hold the throttle. When I bought the trike, I bought another Vista Cruise and fitted to it .... and that and a Kuryakin Palm Rest that is rubber and adjustable if need be is all I use.

They hold up well, mine are a dozen years old on the 1500 and nearer 20 on the 1200. You just adjust snug enough to hold the setting with hand off ..... but it's easy to over come the friction adjusting the throttle at will. You just don't have to constantly hold the throttle against a spring. When you want it off, a swipe of the thumb and it's off. The palm rest also lets you just relax the grip and hold throttle with just palm pressure. I bought the all rubber Kuryakin ones when they first came out .... bought three as I thought they might deteriorate .... spare is still hanging on a hook all these years later.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:55 am

I've had Cruise Control in a car and when hill climbing there's that sudden acceleration and the first time it happened took me aback. I'm not 100% sure if I'd care for that on a bike even knowing it's coming.
So I prefer those throttle locks (TL). It's set & forget unless speed change is needed. Minor inconvenience it reset. I choose the TL type that I can customize it a bit so not to have to reset the speed all the time.
BUT others has their druthers. 8-)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:17 am

FM-USA wrote:I've had Cruise Control in a car and when hill climbing there's that sudden acceleration and the first time it happened took me aback. I'm not 100% sure if I'd care for that on a bike even knowing it's coming.
So I prefer those throttle locks (TL). It's set & forget unless speed change is needed. Minor inconvenience it reset. I choose the TL type that I can customize it a bit so not to have to reset the speed all the time.
BUT others has their druthers. 8-)

Well if it was a sudden acceleration there is something wrong with your CC. It should hold the speed. I always use cruise control, The throttle is fine to get relief for your hand and fingers but speed will change with every slight incline or decline in the road,
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:25 am

Have you checked the sub filter for the CC?? Checked the CC cables, vacuum and wheel? Look in the how to articles for all of this stuff.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:46 am

If you have aftermarket levers they will sometimes not contact the switches enough to close them. The rear brake switch could need adjusting. I believe you need to be going over 45mph to engage the cruise.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:00 pm

FM-USA wrote:I've had Cruise Control in a car and when hill climbing there's that sudden acceleration and the first time it happened took me aback. I'm not 100% sure if I'd care for that on a bike even knowing it's coming...

I have the same experience in my van. Only difference is the van has an automatic transmission and the sudden acceleration is when the tranny kicks down. Your Goldwing will not do that.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Happytrails wrote:If you have aftermarket levers they will sometimes not contact the switches enough to close them. The rear brake switch could need adjusting. I believe you need to be going over 45mph to engage the cruise.

+1 on the brake and clutch levers.
I replaced my levers when I got the bike, and immediately had no cruise control. That seems to be a common problem, even if you haven't changed the levers recently. The switches can test fine, and still not be triggered by the levers.
I am forgetting the exact "listening" test for that. I believe when you pull the brake lever, you should hear 2 distinct clicks of the micro switches, one immediately following the other, right as you pull the lever in. One for brake lights, and one for cruise cancel. I had to "modify" my new lever to make the cruise switch engage the lever, and problem solved. About 3 years later, I had to modify it again, as the first mod had worn down.
On the clutch lever, I believe there are also 2 clicks, with one being immediately after pulling the lever, and the other when the lever is almost/or all the way pulled to the grip. The first is cruise cancel, and the second is the side stand bypass, and for starting in gear. If the clutch lever has any play, it could be caused by a worn clutch lever bushing (pictured), allowing the lever to not be fully retracted when disengaged. The bushing is that little brass piece inserted in the lever. And easy fix, and good maintenance item check.
Those are the most common failures I have read about, and I experienced one. The others are the foot brake, and the throttle cancel, if you twist the throttle backward past its normal idle resting point.
The palm rest mentioned (pictured) is nice to have with cruise control or not. It really relieves the hand pressure needed to maintain any speed.
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”