Front forks


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
JAcossey
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:16 am
Location: Manchester, TN
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Front forks

Post by JAcossey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:44 pm



Hey guys, I need to know what size nut is on the front fork cap on a 1997 gold wing 1500 se. To be clear it is the one that compresses the spring with the air valve in the center. Thanks



FM-USA
Posts: 2562
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: here, there
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Front forks

Post by FM-USA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:57 pm

I wanna say 3/4in. or 19mm but it's been a LONG while.

Use a 6 POINT socket not 12 point. ===>IF you're taking it off, use a thin cloth (preferable fine linen) on the nut before putting the socket on, saves scuffing.

BTW: Only needed one post.
Sometimes it takes time for folks to stop in and go through the threads.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

JAcossey
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:16 am
Location: Manchester, TN
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Re: Front forks

Post by JAcossey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit new to this posting stuff. Sorry bout the two post. I couldn't figure out where I posted it. :) Well I have had a 17mm answer, 22, mm answer and now 3/4 answer. I guess I will just have to measure it when I get home. Thanks again for your help.

FM-USA
Posts: 2562
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: here, there
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Front forks

Post by FM-USA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:16 pm

19mm and 3/4 in. are almost the same size. 19mm is 0.002 larger than 3/4 inch.

Possibly the multi sizes is due to different caps for different applications.
Stock, air assist, Chromed, hex socket (Allen Wrench) instead of crowned, etc.

Click on your name (any page, upper right), in your PROFILE you'll see (lower center) "Total posts: 24,591 "Show your posts". Click on that and all your posts show up in crono-order.
Last edited by FM-USA on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

JAcossey
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:16 am
Location: Manchester, TN
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Re: Front forks

Post by JAcossey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Alrighty! Thanks again.

User avatar
Dusty Boots
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Alvinston, SW ON
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Re: Front forks

Post by Dusty Boots » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:26 am

FM-USA wrote:

Possibly the multi sizes is due to different caps for different applications.
Stock, air assist, Chromed, hex socket (Allen Wrench) instead of crowned, etc.
Correct
On my 92 Aspencade there is no air valve so the Hex Head cap uses a 17 mm allen key to remove it.
Not having a 17 mm Allen key on hand I welded up a couple of nuts on a 17 mm head bolt to remove the caps.
Be aware, if the caps have never been removed before, there is usually one that is on real tight!!











Once you have the caps loosened, you'll need to either buy, or make yourself a fork spring removal tool to safely remove the caps as they are under a lot of pressure
Here's one I made cheaply




User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1904
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Front forks

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:50 pm

JAcossey wrote:Hey guys, I need to know what size nut is on the front fork cap on a 1997 gold wing 1500 se. To be clear it is the one that compresses the spring with the air valve in the center. Thanks
15/16" is a perfect fit. Or, if you have metric, use a 24mm.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

JAcossey
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:16 am
Location: Manchester, TN
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE

Re: Front forks

Post by JAcossey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info.

User avatar
Csj992
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500l w/2012 Champion trike kit, 1998 Harley Road King.

Re: Front forks

Post by Csj992 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 am

Dusty Boots wrote:
FM-USA wrote:

Possibly the multi sizes is due to different caps for different applications.
Stock, air assist, Chromed, hex socket (Allen Wrench) instead of crowned, etc.
Correct
On my 92 Aspencade there is no air valve so the Hex Head cap uses a 17 mm allen key to remove it.
Not having a 17 mm Allen key on hand I welded up a couple of nuts on a 17 mm head bolt to remove the caps.
Be aware, if the caps have never been removed before, there is usually one that is on real tight!!

5643983470_348ea93064_z.jpg
5643416109_6ddc668c2d_z.jpg
5643416317_b51f4e1e94_z.jpg
5643416465_e182f96255_z.jpg


Once you have the caps loosened, you'll need to either buy, or make yourself a fork spring removal tool to safely remove the caps as they are under a lot of pressure
Here's one I made cheaply



5681616053_8eb405365b_z.jpg

Thanks Dusty Boots. You answered both my questions. The size of the hex nut and do I need to buy a fork spring tool. I like the way you think. This is a really great site full of very helpful people. Thanks for the pics also. Charlie


Getting too old to have so many old vehicles. :P

Post Reply