Does the 1500 have a rev limiter?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Does the 1500 have a rev limiter?

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:47 am

Does my '94 1500 have a rev limiter?
A week or so back we were passing through a larger town on an interstate highway. I was following when my partner pulled to the left shoulder of the interstate.
Nothing wrong with his bike, it was just we were on the left side of a six lane interstate highway when we needed to be on the right side for our next exit.
We needed to get up to speed and move to the right lanes in a hurry. The speed limit had dropped to 60 but no one was going only 60 MPH.
Traffic was fairly heavy but we started rolling when we say a small break coming up.
I was accelerating hard, going through the gears and thinking "Wow! For a big bike this thing will move!" I don't know what gear I was in but just before I shifted, it felt like the key was turned off and right back on, twice.
I thought I had blew it up! I got into the right lane and into overdrive and everything seemed normal, no smoking, no lack of power, just...normal.
We got off the highway and my engine sounded fine and responded to the throttle just fine. No oil or water running out just...normal. Only thing I could think of was I bumped the rev limiter, except I don't know if it has one. :roll:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Does the 1500 have a rev limiter?

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 am

Yes, it cuts in right around 6,000 RPM.
No harm to the bike. I hit it quite often.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:06 pm

Yes it's has a rev limiter, keeps getting in the way when I'm having too much fun.... first time really had me scratching my head. I was used to my 1100 with its 8000 rpm redline. Now that you know it's there you will just grab the next gear and roll on again...... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 am

That must be what happened. I can stop wondering about it now. Thank you. :D

Trying to keep track of all those cars, not running into someone in front of you, and knowing there's a semi truck coming up behind you, watching the speedometer and tachometer drop way down on the list of priorities. :lol:

I did think about how well it was accelerating and I remembered not to be too hard on 4th gear. Don't want issues with that!
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:28 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Does my '94 1500 have a rev limiter?
A week or so back we were passing through a larger town on an interstate highway. I was following when my partner pulled to the left shoulder of the interstate.
Nothing wrong with his bike, it was just we were on the left side of a six lane interstate highway when we needed to be on the right side for our next exit.
We needed to get up to speed and move to the right lanes in a hurry. The speed limit had dropped to 60 but no one was going only 60 MPH.
Traffic was fairly heavy but we started rolling when we say a small break coming up.
I was accelerating hard, going through the gears and thinking "Wow! For a big bike this thing will move!" I don't know what gear I was in but just before I shifted, it felt like the key was turned off and right back on, twice.

I don't think I would told it all brother!

It would be far better to just accept the mistake and go to the next exit and regroup / reroute as needed. You by then knew where the missed turn was ..... far safer to go on and come back to it. I never gave a break for what you describe .... worked a few fatals caused just by that very simple act. Six lane interstate, heavy traffic .... stop on left than dart to right across traffic? Forget improper stopping on a limited access highway or unsafe lane change, those are just traffic infractions .... excellent reckless driving charge.

Yep, like they said ..... it has a limiter.
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 pm

You are right, of course, but I didn't pick the place to stop. When my partner stopped there on the left shoulder, my first thought was something happened or was wrong with his bike.
I reckon we got a case of tunnel vision and fixated on making it to the next exit.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Sorry if I maybe came across too harshly .... I wasn't there ..... but I've seen it happen enough .... and seen some bad aftermath.

Later ........ 8-)

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm thinking I'll probably survive. :lol:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”