Re & Re Front Speakers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rick61
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re & Re Front Speakers

Postby rick61 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Is it a complicated task to remove and replace the front speakers?

Thanks.

RG

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Re & Re Front Speakers

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 pm

First, I would say welcome to the forum, but it appears that you joined some time ago, just haven't posted.

The front speakers aren't hard to change, but are hard to get to.
If you follow WingAdmin's instructions through step 20 here, you will get to the speakers.

Depending on the replacements that you choose, you will run into a couple of things.
1. The holes on the new speakers will not line up exactly with the OEM speakers and very slight modifications will need to be made.
2. The connectors to the speakers will probably be a different size and need to be changed.
3. You would be best served to add foam baffles behind the speakers while they are out to get the best sound.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

estaibjr
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE trike
1994 GL1500A trike

Postby estaibjr » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:55 am

Not difficult but time consuming. Patience and tender fingers are required and the shop manual or a friend that has wandered into this area before are a big help. Windshield, mirrors, top of dash all come off. Speaker R&R is a snap once dash is opened. Don't rush re-assembly and take pics if shop manual not clear enough. Trickiest part I feel is the windshield adjuster hardware and headlight adjuster. Take your time and good luck. Or just invest in a good headset and leave stock speakers in.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:52 pm

I did mine not too long ago, used 4" Kenwood coaxial speakers, best upgrade I have made so far. My next upgrade (stereo) is a amp and some 6.5" coaxial speakers where the fairing pockets currently are ( I never use them anyway ) and a up graded head unit of some sort.

Just for those who are curious, I am thinking one of the round marine head units, a I-Pod wired straight to the amp, or my phone wired straight to the amp. :D

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”