trailer hitch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
PGO
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

trailer hitch

Postby PGO » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 pm

I have a '93 Goldwing with a California hack. I want to add a small trailer to the package. I've seen hitch setups with the hitch directly behind the rear bike tire and a hitch that split the difference between the bike and sidecar. What are the thoughts of all the good folks in sidecar land. Thanks for your insights. Bob

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: trailer hitch

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 am

My concern would be the added off center drag against the driving force of the base MC. You may have a brake on the hack to balance braking, but with a GL the when you accelerate that hack is a drag off to one side.

An offset hitch to better align the trailer with the MC / hack combo will only add to the drag off to that side of the driving wheel .... but the whole combo is only as wide as the MC / hack combo.

A regular hitch in line behind the driving wheel will not add to that drag off to one side .... and because it's a drag behind the driving wheel, may even reduce the tendency of the hack's drag to pull the bike off to that side some ..... but the whole combo is gonna be some wider than just the MC / Hack combo alone.

Of course, a lighter trailer will have less influence than a heavy one?

PGO
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: trailer hitch

Postby PGO » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 am

Sounds good to me. I was thinking about the added width of the complete package. With a California double hack the rig is already pretty wide. Thank much for the advise...I guess I'll call the rig "Super wide!) PGO

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”