Dash mat dyed for my 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Dash mat dyed for my 1500

Postby T_birdman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Several months ago I got a Blue velour GL1500 dash mat from my buddy Uncle Fester in the mail. We weren't sure how well velour would take to the dying process but I figured to give it a go anyway.

I used a box of RIT dye powder in Black that I had sitting unopened for several years and chose to use the stovetop method over the other choices. Here is the mat before the process.

I followed the directions and washed it clean, and prepped it for the hot pot of dye water. I also tossed in an old faded Black tank top for the heck of it.

After stirring in the hot water dye mix for about 45 minutes, I took the pot off the stove and over to the sink to rinse the items in warm water till the water rinsed clear and set them out in the sun to dry.

After about an hour in the sun, I placed it on the bikes dash and pressed fit it to continue to dry in the position it will be velcroed in.

Looks great to me, so many thanks to Uncle Fester for digging it up for me, great guy!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Dash mat dyed for my 1500

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Just make sure to clean the pot well BEFORE you throw a chicken in the pot again ! LOL

I am glad you are able to use the mat, and glad it came out so nice looking !
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I
1999 GL1500A

Postby T_birdman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Just make sure to clean the pot well BEFORE you throw a chicken in the pot again ! LOL

I am glad you are able to use the mat, and glad it came out so nice looking !

Are you kidding....I love "Blackened Chicken", it's one of my favorite recipes :lol:
Thanks again Bro, hope all is well with you and yours! Stay vertical!

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I am pretty sure that is NOT how blackened chicken is made. . . . but I am just guessing here. :D :lol: :D

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”