honda goldwing gl15000rear brake master cylinder

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

honda goldwing gl15000rear brake master cylinder

Postby wingdings » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:37 am

hole in cylinder bottom
hole in cylinder bottom
do not buy from ebay until you check the banjo hole bottoms on the cylinder this a pic from a dealer its pup part
do not buy from ebay until you check the banjo hole bottoms on the cylinder this a pic from a dealer its pup part
Hi - Folks just found out what's wrong with my braking system on my Honda Goldwing GL 1500 1989 model , while investigating a spongy back brake pedal and doing all the usual stuff bleeding !! rebuilding the rear brake caliper etc - all to no avail by the way - I finally ended up stripping down the bike to gain access to the rear master cylinder .

After removing the part and stripping down the cylinder and removing the banjo bolts from the cylinder and looking down the bore's - Shock horror !!! down one of the bores it was completely holed though - the small hole that should have been there !! was now a massive hole !! . further more Honda do not make this part anymore too !! and when they did the cost in the UK was £400 .

This left me no choice except to hunt around for a good second hand one - Beware too !! if you go looking on ebay - the ones on there can be bad too !! I nearly bought a duff one of a seller on there ( see pics above buyers beware !! ) - if I had not asked for pics of the banjo blot hole bottoms - I would have wound up with a duffer so best advise hear -is don't matter if it looks nice !! does it work ?? . As the ones I looked at not one showed pics of the bore bottoms so it may have looked nice but there was no way of telling if it worked ?? . buyers beware !!.

If the seller don't send you the pics you ask for then don't buy the part from them !! I was lucky to find a guy in the USA - that was prepared to unwrap the cylinder and take the pics I asked for the part is now on its way too the UK

looking at the Cylinder its a great pity that someone out there cannot offer a refurbishment service on the banjo inserts they would make a fortune out of it too now Honda do make the part anymore and it would only take a small work shop with the right tools to refurbish them - just needs to find out where the inserts could be made or bought from .

Lastly - if you have a spongy brake pedal - Get it sorted or it could be your neck next time !! and if you have done everything like I did - and its still spongy - strip the rear master cylinder down - look down the bore to the bottoms - bet you find like I did not a small needle hole in it but a big gapping hole where the bottom had worn out completely not good at all .

hole in cylinder bottom
hole in cylinder bottom
Attachments
cylinder of my bike note the big  hole in the bottom of the banjo blot hole
cylinder of my bike note the big hole in the bottom of the banjo blot hole
cylinder of my bike note the other banjo blot hole this is what it should look like no big hole in the bottom
cylinder of my bike note the other banjo blot hole this is what it should look like no big hole in the bottom

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”