About to purchase a 94' Goldwing 1500 SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
goethaust
Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

About to purchase a 94' Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby goethaust » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:19 am

Dear Goldwing owners,

My name is Cosmin, and I greet you from Romania!
The reason I'm writting here is my intention of purchasing a 94' Goldwing 1500 SE.

However, there are some questions that I'd like you to answer, in order to get the needed information.
The present situation is as it follows:

The bike was bought as new from a Swiss dealership by it's actual owner, an acquaintance of mine that drove it for only 23 000 miles!!
However, last time it was started/driven was 5 years ago. Since then, it was stored in an unheated garage, covered by the dust gathered over the years. (you can see it in the attached pictures)

I am very interested in buying it, but I'm afraid this long pause in low temperatures over the winters have affected its integrity. Bare in mind, the owner told me he/d be happy to sell it to me, but he doesn't want to bring it up in shape, meaning that the price will be lower, but I have to take care of everything.

Before I put it on a trailer and start operating different repairs on it, I was wandering about some answers from some more experienced users on what could go wrong and if the risks are too high.

Also, I was thinking of checking the oil (if it is still there and enough and "oily"), plug the battery to a charger, and give it a go to see if at propper temperature the engine runs smoothly. Of course, afterwords, all the liquids and filters will be changed. Is it safe to do it?

Also, other ideas or thoughts of what checks that I should perform are welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I wish you a great week!

All the best,
Cosmin
Attachments

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Re: About to purchase a 94' Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby hugger-4641 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:02 am

Just a few thoughts.
A bike that has set for that long is going to have some minor issues, no way around it. But if the price is low enough and the bike has been stored well, it would probably still be worth it. Even if the bike starts and runs, I would plan on having to work out some bugs for the first couple thousand miles.
Here are my opinions on how I might approach it:

I would change the oil & filter, fuel filter, and at least check and clean the air filter since it is a common place for mice and squirrels to make a home.
I would top off the coolant before I ever tried to start it. Then change the coolant after engine has run a bit.
Battery charger will probably do no good on a battery that's been dead for 5 years. Better plan on new battery, or have an automotive battery and some heavy jumper cables available to use for starting.
I would drain all the fuel from the tank and put fresh fuel along with some Sea Foam or other cleaner/fuel treatment. Don't even try to start it with that old fuel in it.
Those carbs likely going to have some varnish and corrosion in them. You may be able to cheat if the condition is not too bad and you can flush fresh fuel thru the carbs. Even if the engine cranks and runs decent at first, it won't be long until varnish and corrosion start breaking loose and they will need to be cleaned.
Before I turned the engine over at all, I would remove each spark plug and spray some WD-40 or some other light oil in each cylinder.

Clutch and brake cables are likely to be stuck. You may get lucky and just need to spray some lube on each end of the cables.
Very likely the brakes are stuck or will become stuck the first time you depress the brake handle/peddle.
If it has been stored in a dark area ,out of direct sunlight, the vacuum lines may still be ok, but I would check the condition of all vacuum lines that you can see.
I would spray all switches with contact cleaner, especially the engine kill switch and the starter button.
I would look at the timing belt condition, if they still look good and not cracked and dry rotted, I might chance starting it, but that is a very risky guess. It would really be wise to go ahead and change them. If a belt breaks, the cylinder heads will be damaged. Even if I did risk starting the engine on the old belts, I wouldn't let it run long without changing them.
If you do all this and it cranks and runs, you will still need to plan on other things like changing the rear drive oil, lubing the drive shaft, cleaning/rebuilding the brake cylinders, checking front fork oil, air shock oil, etc.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:36 am

Pretty good write-up hugger.

BE SURE to be at the ready to remove the negative battery post JUST IN CASE the starter sticks running.
Pre-test it's removal so you know it will remove.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:50 pm

FM-USA wrote:Pretty good write-up hugger.

Agreed, he covered it well except for the part about lubing the brake and clutch cables :P :P

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:59 pm

spiralout wrote:Agreed, he covered it well except for the part about lubing the brake and clutch cables :P :P

Maaaaybeeee copy/paste?
Wonder which bike... :?:

Then again, he did say EACH END, which could be true.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Timing belts.
Change them before you even THINK of starting the engine.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm

offcenter wrote:Timing belts.
Change them before you even THINK of starting the engine.

10-4 on that offcenter. With only 23K on it, it probably has the original tires on it. I would change the 10 year old tires before I did anything more than just ride around the block a few times. It is likely that you will have to pull the carbs and clean them out. Check out all the fuses and relays and put some dielectric grease in all the connectors that you can access. But first, giving it a good bath will make it look better and make you feel better about it.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

goethaust

Postby goethaust » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:11 am

I'm clear about what are the next steps.
Thank you very much for your help.
I will update this thread, once things evolve.

Have a great day!
Cosmin

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Could you post a few more photos after you get it all washed off? As already mentioned, you'll have more motivation working on a nice looking bike.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

goethaust

Postby goethaust » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:25 am

Of course, once I get it nice and shiny i'll upload some pics

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Um, washed it yet? ;)

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”