1500 shuts off for a fraction of a second

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Since82
Motorcycle: 1996 goldwing Aspencade, 1982 goldwing Interstate, 1972 suzuki 500 titan, 1972 suzuki 250 X6,

1500 shuts off for a fraction of a second

Postby Since82 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:21 am

Hello to all. My 1996 1500 goldwing's motor shuts off for a fraction of a second while running, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. When it first started to do this I thought it was my imagination because it is so quick to shut off then come right back on. Lights do not dim when this happens. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When it happened yesterday the delay to come back on was long enough for me to see that it actually was happening and it wasn't just my imagination. Any help would be greatly appreciated

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: 1500 shuts off for a fraction of a second

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:47 am

Our '97 has done that maybe 3-4 times last year or so, very very sporatic. Several months ago I read someplace about it possibly being dirt or corrosion or contamination causing sometimes poor contact in the "emergency off switch" of "kill switch" knob. I followed a lead posted here I think .... took mine apart, cleaned, lubed, and put back together ..... no repeats yet. The oem grease was a bit "cake" like. I used some general contact grease on it for now but have ordered some special contact grease used in electronics for contacts that slide.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Check the connectors under the kill switch. Years and miles of vibration at the handlebars will cause these connectors to become loose and then you lose power to ignition and fuel pump.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Since82 wrote:Hello to all. My 1996 1500 goldwing's motor shuts off for a fraction of a second while running, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. When it first started to do this I thought it was my imagination because it is so quick to shut off then come right back on. Lights do not dim when this happens. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When it happened yesterday the delay to come back on was long enough for me to see that it actually was happening and it wasn't just my imagination. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had this problem, acts like a hiccup.
Single miss one summer, next summer 3 times then the following spring about once a week.

I'll lay really high odds it's your Petcock.
Open it up, 1 O-Ring seal, one spring and 2 diaphragms. Look at the big disk lower 1/3 real close. Put it up to the light, might see hole[s].
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Postby Greenwinger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm

My 97 SE did the same thing. Try thumping the kill switch and moving it slightly with the bike on and see if you can reproduce the problem. If it does the switch needs cleaning and on mine the spring had become weak, I had to take the hole switch apart and pull the spring apart a bit to put some tension back into the switch. Be very careful if you decide to take the switch apart, there is a point at which ( I am quite certain about) a small charge of C4 explosive will detonate and send all the almost microscopic parts off into all directions. As was recommended by the boss here when you get to the point of dissembling the switch it's self put it inside a zip lock bag so the flying parts can be contained.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”