89 installation of triple turndowns

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
kjroondog
Motorcycle: 1985 LTD
1985 LTD
1982 Interstate naked custom
2016 FLTRUSE
1989 GL1500

89 installation of triple turndowns

Postby kjroondog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:09 pm

I have gained quite a bit of knowledge from many of the posts. I have searched for an answer to my question, couldn't find, so here it is: How much of the OEM exhaust tip has to be cut in order to fit triple turndowns. Mine has the longer peice that fits over stock tip in the middle of the turndowns. I don't have the side version.
When I had one of them into the exhaust, it seemed evident that the turn down section of the OEM exhaust would have to cut somewhat since the triple would not go in level.
Also, it seems that the section that fits over the stock pipes end roght before the end, the one that has a weld of some sort. The half rings won't go in any more and still allow for room to fir inside the new fitted over pipe.
Do the half rings have to be flush with the end of the newly fitted pipe? It seems so as the nut and bolt that tightens would seem to squeeze the rings in place.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: 89 installation of triple turndowns

Postby Charlie1Horse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:39 pm

I believe all you have to remove is the turn down. My 92 had them when I bought it but, I had to remove them. Every time I entered or left my post office they would hit the pavement, one side or the other depending on which way I was turning as I departed. The ends are quite a bit closer to the ground than the original single turn down. As for the half collars, they need to be all the way up to the muffler and inside the very end of your new extensions so that when you tighten the clamp bolts it will tighten up with the original pipe. Check carefully everywhere you go regularly for rear ground clearance before you cut the original pipes off. If there is any dip you will have to allow a little extra clearance for the (bounce). I broke one off on the pavement.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

kjroondog
1985 LTD
2016 FLTRUSE
1989 GL1500

Postby kjroondog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:14 pm

You have an excellent point with the extensions being lower. Even in the original turn down, it looks like a pipe within the pipe. Do you know how far the baffle is in? When I do cut them, I would just cut the turn down part so the extensions will fit straight. I'm just not sure how much to cut off since the extension triples don't have baffles.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Measure the diameter of the existing pipe behind the muffler. Hold the half collars together and measure the inside diameter. If they are like the ones I had you will find that they will only fit over the inside pipe. Mine were cut off all the way up to the rear of the muffler so, when I broke one off there is only a pipe about 1.25 inch diameter and 6 to 8 inches long from the muffler. I believe the chrome outer pipe is for show.(Looks nice). I haven't done anything with my pipes yet so if I can I will take a pic of it and post it over the weekend.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

kjroondog
1985 LTD
2016 FLTRUSE
1989 GL1500

Postby kjroondog » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Yes, I did notice that the clamps will fir up the the weld, then there is a small gap between the weld and the big round muffler. i was just wondering where the actual baffles are located so i don't cut too much off. I want o make sure I still retain some sort of backpressure for the engine to operate efficiently. Thanks

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”