Best way to repair a crack in the plastic?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Best way to repair a crack in the plastic?

Postby Shawn4245 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Good afternoon everyone, Today while checking the oil, I noticed a crack on the panel that covers this area. It is on the lower left corner of the panel right of the post that pushes into the rubber grommet. I need to stop this from further damage and ultimately from loosing this panel. I have an 88 1500, with custom pin striping, so it would be pretty rare to find another panel.
I am thinking long hair bondo on the inside of the panel, with maybe foaming Gorilla Glue in the actual crack. That might work, but I am hoping those with the experience will point me in the right direction before I screw it up all together.
Thank you for the help!!!
Shawn

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Re: Best way to repair a crack in the plastic?

Postby raven41951 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Check the "How-To-" Articles. They have all the info you need. You can use ABS cement with ABS panels for reinforcement or inject acetone into the split if it is small and non critical. Do not follow your thoughts on this as you will be sorry.

FM-USA is an expert at this and has a lot of hands on experience.

There are many articles on this site on repairing cracks in the ABS panels.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:53 pm

I agree - when working with plastics, there are a LOT of different compounds, and what may work with one may be a disaster on an apparently-similar material.

Our fairings are a form of ABS. Ideally, the "right" glue would be a mixture of ABS solvent, with sacrificial shavings of the piece to be repaired mixed in to form a slurry. That will "weld" the materials together at a molecular level, rather than bridging the pieces together with a different filler material (which, most likely, will fail to stay joined).

**Another suggestion (not DIY, but one that I've used a few times) is to visit your local, modern, automotive body repair shop. These days, so much of vehicles is plastic, these shops have specialized plastic welding equipment which can repair things like our fairing body panels, sometimes without needing any filler material. I had one such repair made on my Kawasaki Concours fairing - the repair was very, very strong, and completely invisible - like I had a brand new fairing!

Repair was quite cheap, too, as I recall.

Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Postby Shawn4245 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, now I am really happy I posted this question. I thank both of you and will take the advice and look for an auto body shop that might be able to do the job!!! THANK YOU BOTH!!!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:53 pm

You might try some Plastex. It works. http://www.plastex.net//
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Remove any paint or primer on the bikes panels back sides. Go to Lowe's, buy some black ABS plumbing stuff, cut into sections, heat and flatten or curve to fit inside panels behind crack ..... and like others said, use ABS primer and solvent glues.

Actually, not so sure even need the primer, it does clean the ABS though.

Back a few years ago I went into a shadow on the BRP and did not see a piece of metal that the front tire hit the edge of, flipped up and nailed the lower front cowling and left side exhaust covers. Found both on Ebay that night, correct color .... made offer, got both sent for under $60 but the ABS lower cowling had several cracks. I used ABS plumbing plastic to reinforce inside and it's stronger that OEM now. I've also reinforced inside for like trunk rack mount legs on my 1200 with it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”