BACKFIRING/POPPING ON DECELERATION

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

BACKFIRING/POPPING ON DECELERATION

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:50 pm

This has been coming on slowly for a while small popping or backfiring when I get off the throttle. Started out as once in a while and one pop now it's every time and 3 or 4 pops/very low backfires

What would be the mostly likely cause???

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: BACKFIRING/POPPING ON DECELERATION

Postby harvey01 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:32 pm

There is always the possibility of a hole or something loose in the exhaust system. Start with the headers and work you way back to the mufflers.

That bike has a lot of tubing and so forth plus the manifolds between the carbs and the engine. Any of these could have a hole, be loose, or just worn out.

Hopefully someone with more personal knowledge of the GL1500 will be able to direct you to the problem. I am just suggesting things that I have encountered with other bikes.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Most common cause is a lean fuel mixture, which is most often caused by a vacuum leak.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 am

I was afraid of that..not looking forward to pulling the carbs and all those tubes underneath. I will check the intake rubbers first. Another more likely source for a leak???

FAIR WINDS,
RB

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Postby kane67 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am

Any difference spark plugs color left/right side? I had one broken tube in left side to manifold, just half inch up where tube ends.

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:26 pm

I agree, a lean fuel mixture is the most likely cause.And can occur from a few things, some listed of which helped me. Do all the easy stuff first. When did you sync your carbs last? How do the plugs look? plug gap ok? Fresh fuel? Being 17-18 yrs old and in the hot weather, I suspect it may be rubber connection leaks somewhere that control the carbs. I had surging as well as back-firing for awhile now. I didn't find any leaks on my vacuum hoses by spraying a quick shot of carb cleaner around the vacuum joints I could find and listening for a quick rpm rise. After closer inspection, I took the air cleaner off and shook the carb plate. It was loose. You can tighten the screws on the rubber carb insulators by using a very long screwdriver in beside the fan housings....sometimes.
Honda recommends 3.5 lbs torque on the screws and means it. They put spacers in between the clamps so they won't be over-tightened. Good idea when the rubber is new. Mine were 19 yrs old and didn't want to tighten anymore (up against the spacer in the clamp) and I was working on only stripping the screw clamp head. I ordered 2 new ones (Carb Insulator 16211-MN5-000) for my 1997 GL-1500 and 4 new clamps. Ground off a bit more of the insulator clamp spacers on a grinding wheel before assembly so I could control the tightness miles & heat cycles down the road. I read about this trick here on another GWD forum.
They are tight now but I also removed and cleaned out all my carb jets that were removable in case ethanol crap was clogging a jet. For me, this was the worst part, a slow and tedious process taking off the carbs (and later reinstalling) with all those water, vacuum and fuel hoses in cramped quarters.
When I ordered my parts, an old GW mechanic suggested that I should take this golden opportunity to swap out my coolant sensor & sealing washer located below the carbs and on the rt. intake manifold. A 19mm box wrench does it. This sensor does NOT work the temp gauge. It ONLY tells the ECM (brain) the water temp so the ECM can control the engine timing, etc. Not many are aware of it it seems. A less then common fix for surging / hunting of carb rpms also. For approx. $32 sensor, (36151-MT8-003) I jumped at the chance to replace it in 10 minutes since I didn't have the manual for the sensor test procedure at hand. hint: order from Honda or others, a few of those pesky tiny carb cotter pins too...nobody carries them that small around here.
I put the bike back together a little bit each day (especially the carbs) so I wouldn't get frustrated and sabotage the job. Walking away and having a cool one is sometimes the best procedure.
It's together, carbs are synced, and no more surge or back-fire. Hope this helps. I don't ever want to do it again either.
More then ever before, I appreciate the guy who invented fuel injection! Let's Ride.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks for all the info guys..haven't checked the plugs yet but I will before I tear into anything. No surging just the popping on decel. When it gets a little cooler around here I am get into it!!

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”