Static in the speakers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1989 honda GL1500
1984 honda GL1200 aspencade
1982 yamaha virago xv750
2002 suzuki savage ls650(sold)

Static in the speakers

Postby Pope82 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:13 am

On my 89' gl1500 I thaught my radio was just old ( been sitting 6 years and fm does not work but am is works fantastic) I have rode my bike with the radio totally off of the bike before and whether the radio is on the bike or off ,when you hit a bump on the road you can hear it through the speakers.

Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
ANTAGONISTS need not post.

Re: Static in the speakers

Postby FM-USA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:47 am

If it's second hand to you, the PO might have hacked into the radios power wire or expanded the speaker wires to or for something.

Could a crossed power wire to the speakers wires. Disconnect the power to the radio (fuse?) and see what happens.
Noise stops, either pull the fuse and run a separate power wire to the radio (easy) or back track the wires to the radio (harder).
If the power wire is with the speaker wires, separate the power away from the speaker wires.

Our bikes vibrate from bumps (as you know) and subject to moisture (sometimes we forget), check the ground wire for good a connection[s].

Lastly, might be an internal issue with the radio. If so, NOW you got some homework, lots of different choices out there.

WARNING: I'm not an electrical expert, but I can fake it. I also know enough to NOT lick my fingers or stand in water when working on electrical, live or "suppose to be" dead.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”