I thought I would never see them... but gremlins are here!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

I thought I would never see them... but gremlins are here!

Postby GillesGLW » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,
Greetings from Switzerland!

I was quite happy today to go for a ride after installing my SocalMotogear leds (http://www.socalmotogear.com/PATHFINDER ... p/1157.htm) on my rear saddlebag and topcase lights (driving and break lights).

First surprise, after a few seconds, all the rear lights went off. The 5A fuse for the tail lights died. I replaced it, same situation happened again. So I thought that maybe because these lights were extremely bright, they were using a bit more power and I put a 5A fuse.It went well for a few minutes but right after leaving home, the entire dashboard went off. No more temperature, petrol or RPM information. Fuse was blown again and the rear lights as well.

Funny thing is that the rear driving lights are off, but the breaking lights are still ok.
Same with the turning signal, the orange lights on the dashboard started to blink very strangely and is now almost not visible anymore. The right turning signal is still ok.

So I guess there is an issue with some wires that may be causing some short circuit.

Did anyone face the same issue?

Thanks,
Gilles

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I thought I would never see them... but gremlins are here!

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:49 pm

GillesGLW wrote:Hi everyone,
Greetings from Switzerland!

I was quite happy today to go for a ride after installing my SocalMotogear leds (http://www.socalmotogear.com/PATHFINDER ... p/1157.htm) on my rear saddlebag and topcase lights (driving and break lights).

First surprise, after a few seconds, all the rear lights went off. The 5A fuse for the tail lights died. I replaced it, same situation happened again. So I thought that maybe because these lights were extremely bright, they were using a bit more power and I put a 5A fuse.It went well for a few minutes but right after leaving home, the entire dashboard went off. No more temperature, petrol or RPM information. Fuse was blown again and the rear lights as well.

Funny thing is that the rear driving lights are off, but the breaking lights are still ok.
Same with the turning signal, the orange lights on the dashboard started to blink very strangely and is now almost not visible anymore. The right turning signal is still ok.

So I guess there is an issue with some wires that may be causing some short circuit.

Did anyone face the same issue?

Thanks,
Gilles

The LEDs draw significantly LESS current than the original incadescent bulbs, so your problem is going to be due to something else. You've got a short somewhere - a pinched wire somewhere perhaps?

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Re: I thought I would never see them... but gremlins are here!

Postby GillesGLW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:09 am

That's what I'm afraid of... have to go through the 100 miles of cables and see where the problem comes from.
Hopefully I know it's more on the rear side than the front!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”