could you Pls address me to right place..

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

could you Pls address me to right place..

Postby Gdgiò » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Hallo far far friends
mild season is about to finish and when the cold and dark weather will force me to stop the bike ,i'll have then the time to fix couple of things.
I have tried to identify the right posts, but the huge amount of infos in this web site ,makes me a bit lose the focus so, may I ask you to adress me to the most (in your opinion) focused topics?
the following are the issues:

1) try to replace the direction lamps by LED and (as youknow) the result is unacceptable high speed. replacing direction relay might be one option but where the relays involved are located?Are you awre if LED for that purpose are available with embedded resistance?

2)cruise control goes on but not set. I sow many (endless) posts ,somebody may drive me to the most focused troubleshooting purpose?

THANKS

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: could you Pls address me to right place..

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm

When I changed my turn signals (directional lights) to LED, I installed dual load equalizers to stop the fast flashing.
You have to get one for the front and another for the rear signals.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 am

There are a few things that can prevent the cruise control from enabling. If your brake lights turn on when you pull the brake lever or step on the pedal (and more importantly, the brake lights turn OFF when you let go), then your brake switches are not the issue.

The clutch lever has two switches. The cruise disconnect switch clicks when you first start pulling in the clutch lever. Often, the clutch lever bushing wears, and the lever does not go out far enough to disconnect this switch. Try pushing your clutch lever forward and see if it will engage then.

If not, then test the clutch disconnect switch (it has black/yellow and green/blue wires connected to it). Pull the wires off, put an ohmmeter on the switch terminals, and work the clutch lever. Make sure the terminals are shorted only when the clutch lever is pulled in. If not, the switch needs to be replaced.

There are other switches - throttle disconnect, gear position (making sure it is in 4th or 5th gear) that can cause this problem as well, checking those is a bit more involved. When it gets to diagnosing the cruise control, the diagnostic steps are quite lengthy and involved, so start with what we have here (the most common causes) and see where we get.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24102#ixzz3EQS3ZrJi
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Postby Gdgiò » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:43 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Thanks a lot for the tips.I wil linvestigate deeper when i winterize the bike but still couple of suggestions...

The clutch lever has two switches. The cruise disconnect switch clicks when you first start pulling in the clutch lever. Often, the clutch lever bushing wears, and the lever does not go out far enough to disconnect this switch. Try pushing your clutch lever forward and see if it will engage then.
If there are 2 switches ,should hear 2 "clocks" when operating the lever? because i can hear only one.
Honestly the levr does not show backlash (play) so i assume the bushing is in good shape.

If not, then test the clutch disconnect switch (it has black/yellow and green/blue wires connected to it). Pull the wires off, put an ohmmeter on the switch terminals, and work the clutch lever. Make sure the terminals are shorted only when the clutch lever is pulled in. If not, the switch needs to be replaced.

There are other switches - throttle disconnect, gear position (making sure it is in 4th or 5th gear) that can cause this problem as well, checking those is a bit more involved. When it gets to diagnosing the cruise control, the diagnostic steps are quite lengthy and involved, so start with what we have here (the most common causes) and see where we get.
Where are located the throttle disconnect, gear position?
Is it possible to check if the cruise set without driving the bike?

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24102#ixzz3EQS3ZrJi

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Postby kane67 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:23 pm

Check my pic gallery, few pics of cruise troubleshooting (-89 manual)
http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/ka ... 92/I_12587

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 am

The gear signal box is under the seat several threads on changing it to allow for running at higher speeds using cruise control..not what you want but will show you where it is and what wires do what.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Postby Gdgiò » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 am

kane67 wrote:Check my pic gallery, few pics of cruise troubleshooting (-89 manual)
http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/ka ... 92/I_12587

Kiitos Kane :P
en olen suomalainen mutta mie tyòhon suomalainen firmaa :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MAy I ask you to share a beetr quality of the 3 sheets related to the cruise troubleshooting? printing or readin them is hard.

Terveisià

Gdgiò
HD883
Goldwing SE 1999

Postby Gdgiò » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:01 am

RBGERSON wrote:The gear signal box is under the seat several threads on changing it to allow for running at higher speeds using cruise control..not what you want but will show you where it is and what wires do what.

Thanks ...will check the threads..

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Postby kane67 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am

Gdgiò wrote:Kiitos Kane :P
en olen suomalainen mutta mie tyòhon suomalainen firmaa :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MAy I ask you to share a beetr quality of the 3 sheets related to the cruise troubleshooting? printing or readin them is hard.

Terveisià

:D Hienoa! Minä voin jakaa -89 manuaalin dropboxin kautta.

Send me your email (privat message) and I'll share -89 manual (dropbox) and you can download it to you. You have -99 model so there is a lot difference.

It is a copy version so quality is not the best...

Terveisin kane

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”