Electrical Problem.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
garybm
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Electrical Problem.

Postby garybm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello, I am new to using forums and I hope I explain this well enough for someone to help. I have a 1996 GL1500A that I recently had to replace the battery and tuned it up. I took it out this morning and after riding it about 30 miles it started bogging down and cut off. I tried to start it and it would not turn over and made a clicking noise down by the battery when hitting the starter, I let it sit about 45 minutes it started up and ran another appox 10 miles before the same thing happened. I actually had to get a jump the second time. I got the bike home and started it and removed the ground wire from the battery to see if it would cut off and it did not , suspecting a charging problem. I hope I have not been too confusing.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Electrical Problem.

Postby thrasherg » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 am

From your desription, it does sound like a charging problem. It sounds like when it died the battery was flat. If you leave a battery for a while it will recover a little bit (maybe enough to run the bike for 10 minutes!). I would be geting a multimeter on the battery and measuring the battery voltage with the ignition off, the ignition on and the engine running. With the engine running the volts should be higher than the 2 previous readings and should measure almost 14 volts.. Engine should be reved to 2000rpm or there abouts when measuring the voltage.. If it is lower than 13.3 volts then you need to start debugging your charging system.

Gary

garybm

Postby garybm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks for the reply. The only question is if I took the ground wire off the battery and it kept running does that not mean that the charging system is working correctly? I do not have a meter to check the charging system and cannot go out and purchase one as I got laid off from my job of 20yrs and am trying to keep from spending a lot of money, not a good place to be in. Thanks.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Gary,

I would assume that if the ground wire was removed from the battery and that the engine kept running that the charging system is working well enough to run the engine. However, if the system is weak, once you start riding and use the lights (brakes, indicators, fuel pump, radiator fan, etc) the charging system might not be providing enough charge so the battery would start to flatten. I hear lots of issues about stators (not sure if it applies to the 1500) but I would suspect that your system is not fully operational even if it can run the engine. I only know how to check the charging system with a multimeter. It could be fuel starvation, by letting the bike sit for 10 minutes might be enough time for the carbs to refill. It might be worth checking the fuel filter is not blocked and that the tank breather is working correctly.. If you can pull the fuel feed pipe of the carb, put it in a container, turn the ignition on and see how quickly the fuel comes out.. It might give you an idea of where the issue is.

Gary

garybm

Postby garybm » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I did have the alternator replaced 2yrs ago because the shop said that the stator was bad and I told them to go ahead and replace the whole alternator. I spoke to my brother and he has a meter that I can use to check the charging system. I do think you are right that there is something wrong there just from the fact that when started it will run for several miles and kill the battery. I hope I can get it running properly before the winter because this is getting to the time of the year that I love to ride.Take Care.
Gary

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”