88/1500 Left Turn Signal looses power and fades out.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

88/1500 Left Turn Signal looses power and fades out.

Postby Shawn4245 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:44 pm

I am lost at this point. Here is what is happening. Today on my 60 mile trip to work, When I turned on my left turn signal, the dash indicator light was very dim. It would blink but slowly. I noticed the LCD screen was also flickering like it was loosing power as well. The right turn signal worked normal and has all day. On my return trip, I had a dim left turn signal and then it just stopped working, While sitting at a light waiting to turn left, the signal was not blinking on the dash, and I noticed a slight surging in power to the engine. (hope that makes sense) When I pushed the signal cancel (I didn't know I had hit the left signal, it is just habit I guess) the engine went back to normal and the surging stopped.
I get home, dismantle my bike and of course the left signal is working fine. Monkey around looking for any loose connections, broken wires, or anything.( I bought this bike used, the original owner had every possible accessory and light available on the bike. after he passed a dealer bought the bike and basically cut every unnecessary wire on the bike and left them in place. I find dead end wires all over this bike. I am the 4th owner)
But the turn signal things has just happened today, so it is something new. Anyways, I get the bike back together and the signals are working properly. Take it on a test ride and things are working normal for about 5 minutes, then back to the same issues. (I will know more tomorrow if it is heat related. I will check the signal right after start up and watch for it to happen)
So could my turn signal relay be going out? I can hear the left and right signal relays clicking under the seat (under the passenger seat/trunk)
Any thoughts. All my lights are working and as long as the left signal is not activated, the bike and lights acts and runs normal and very solid. I checked the signal lights and they are not LED, so they use the original bulbs and they are working properly until the left on is activated.
I drive this bike 100+ miles everyday, and half of that is at 4am, when my lights are critical.
I hope this makes sense to someone. I could use the help!
Thank You- Shawn

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 88/1500 Left Turn Signal looses power and fades out.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Does the engine surge at all when it is at idle and you use the right turn signal?

My guess is that you have a weak (dirty) connection somewhere between the turn signal switch and the actual lights. Check all of the left signal lights - are they all dim? Or is the front bright while the rear and dash indicator are dim?

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:43 am

I had similar "surging" when applying the brakes. LED bulbs reduced the amperage load and the problem is gone.

I suspect a high amperage draw and as WA said, that is probably a loose connection or bad ground. A bad relay or flasher could do it too.

Shawn4245
Motorcycle: 1988 Gl1500

Postby Shawn4245 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks Guys, The problem is gone for now. It just started working normally the next day. It has not done it again, so I an not going to chase the issue just yet. I have a plan I a few weeks to strip the fairings off, new plugs and cruise filter and then remove every dead end wire n the bike to get it as close to stock/proper as possible, then check all the connections. With it being my primary ride, I need it to work and I need to give it the attention a 30 year old bike needs. Thank for your replies!!! Happy Trails!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”