drive shaft

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

drive shaft

Postby terryt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi can any one tell me on the drive shaft how much tension is there on the washer and spring.
how far does it push into the uj under tension

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: drive shaft

Postby CrystalPistol » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 pm

It's purpose is simply to assure that the universal joint stays pushed all the way up onto the engine / trans output shaft .... which is where the center of the cross is near most centered between the two swing arm pivots. Tension in pounds or distance the spring is compressed once in place is not critical .... only that it is compressed some as you install.

From what I could tell recently when playing with one set up was Honda does have it set so that the full depth splines on the shaft are very nearly fully engaged with the internal splines of the yoke on the drive shaft side of the U-joint which is past that empty 1/4" portion at the rear ..... like the spring & washer & retainer is moved back about that distance.

To get a more exact answer .... one may start assembly of the final drive with shaft in place and measure from mount face of final drive to face flange of swing arm for distance when resistance is first felt, then pull it out and measure spring pressure on the shaft at that same compressed distance. Not an endeavor worthy of the effort.

terryt

Postby terryt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 am

Hi CrystalPistol Thanks for your reply. I have converted my gl1500 to a trike it handles well no steering shake or any problems riding just when I pull the clutch there seems to be some shaft vibration goes when clutch is release. just wondered how much tension should be on the shaft to stop any vibration

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am

My 1200 is a bike, my 1500 is a trike. Both cases, the spring preloads the U-joint so it stays snug all the way on the eng / trans output shaft.

How many miles on the clutch?
How many as a trike?
What you describe sounds like clutch chatter to me .... though you might check that U-joint for wear as well as aplines on drive shaft and inside yokes .... though likely the splines are OK.

Clutch chatter could be a result of wrong engine oil affecting clutch friction attributes ....
or could be result of technique overheating the clutch ....
or it could be a result of simply well worn clutch friction discs.

Good thing about a 1500 is clutch set is fairly easily replaced without removing engine from the trike (bike).

terryt

Postby terryt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks I will check the shaft first as I think its is only about 3/4" longer passed the spring

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”