Bulbs frequently burn out

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dlquack
Motorcycle: 1995 gl1500 A Aspencade

Bulbs frequently burn out

Postby dlquack » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

I have a 1995 Goldwing :P which I have added after market driving lights to in the lower fairing (usually turn indicators but on all the time). I have noticed that the bulbs do not last very long. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a possible solution?
I really like the additional light they provide but hate having to go through the rigamarol of replacing the bulbs every 4-6 wks.
One mechanic suggested that reducing the voltage to the bulb some might prolong them. I'm not sure if it is a voltage issue or vibration issue or something else. Has anyone else come across this or heard of a similar situation
:roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bulbs frequently burn out

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 pm

You can measure the voltage at the bulbs when you run the engine up to normal operating RPM's, to see how far beyond 13.8 volts (nominal) it goes. Anything beyond 14.5 or so is going to affect the life of the bulbs.

But being that they are the only bulbs that are going, I would suspect it's more related to vibration. You can try a different brand of bulbs - I know Sylvania makes a version of their Silverstar bulbs specifically made for motorcycles.

An old pilot's trick to get landing light bulbs mounted in the engine cowling of an airplane to last longer is to mount the bulb so that the filament is vertical instead of horizontal. I don't know if that would be possible in this case, but it's worth looking at.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”