This Is Totally Bizarre

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

This Is Totally Bizarre

Post by cbx4evr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Okay I'm pulling my hair out here trying to figure what's wrong with my bike. I hesitated to post the question because it's going to sound bizarre but then if you don't ask you don't learn. Of course it's an electrical issue which is my kryptonite. So without further adieu this is what's happening. As a background the bike was running perfectly when I put it up for the winter. Other than charging the battery with a battery tender I've done nothing to the bike this winter. It is a new, last year, Yuasa sealed battery.

So today I went out with the key to check a few things. Battery is fully charged. I put key in ignition and turned to ACC positioning radio came on. Turned key further to start position and the radio went off. That's odd I thought. Better voltage indicated at around 12V. I pushed the starter button. Battery voltage dropped to 6V, and this is where it gets weird, and I could here the motor turning in the cassette player. :roll: Each time I used the start button the motor would go. No headlights, no radio, no signals in start position of ignition. When I turned the key back to the ACC position the radio came back on. When I turned everything off the cassette started again for about 5 seconds before it quit. Metered battery and it was back at around 11V.

That's it. Once you picked yourself up from laughing about this bizarre tale I'm all ears for suggestions as to the problem. Tomorrow I'm going to try hooking a booster battery up to it and see what that does. Is it possible I've suffered a sudden battery failure?

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: This Is Totally Bizarre

Post by Happytrails » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Suppose nothings perfect and could be bad cells in a new battery. Could you try and take it to a local auto store and have them put it on a tester?
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 am

Sounds like the battery is corrupt, dropping to 6v on trying to start is a definite sign of a crook battery.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am

Yup, sounds like a bad battery. When you go to the ON position, the headlight is drawing enough current that the battery can't keep up, and everything shuts off. The battery should never show 6 volts, even when starting - that's the smoking gun.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 am

Well to update it's definitely the battery. Hooked a booster battery to it and it fired right up.

Less than 7000 km. of use on the battery but it's outside of the warranty period so we'll see where that goes. This is the second time that this has happened to me. Last was on my KLR 650 which left me stranded and the wife had to rescue me. That was a Chinese manufactured battery but about 5 years old. Spent the extra money on the Yuasa for the Goldwing hoping to avoid the same issue. Situation reminds me of a saying an old mechanic friend always told me: "New, doesn't mean good".

Thanks for the support.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 am

Any recommendations on a battery. So far what I have seen are prices ranging from $75 for a Chinese no name to $150 for the Deka. These are all AGM batteries. When I think about it I've had better luck with wet cell batteries.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE White 25th Anniversary edition
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 am

And as a side note, are you sure the battery tender is doing its job correctly? Either by not putting out anything or not shutting down when it's supposed to. That could explain why your battery died early.... Just a thought...

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by Happytrails » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 am

I bought an Odyssey battery 4yrs ago and no issues so far.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 pm

wilmo wrote:And as a side note, are you sure the battery tender is doing its job correctly? Either by not putting out anything or not shutting down when it's supposed to. That could explain why your battery died early.... Just a thought...
Yes the Battery Tender is working well. At least it functions normally with charging and in float mode. I haven't actually metered it when in float mode but charges at 14 -14.5 volts. I use the same charger on my KLR too if the battery is in the bike.

ut now that I think about it is there a way to check the output voltage when in float mode?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm

As I just mentioned on another thread, the Yuasa AGM battery in my GL1500 is now six years old and counting, and still works like brand new. With the Battery Tender Jr. always connected to it, it's been a great battery - looks like you got a dud.

When this battery one day does die, I'll replace it with a MotoBatt.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Not sure what you would see in float mode. The tender is connected to the battery so measuring then should just read the battery voltage, the tender would 'drop out' until it reads voltage below its threshold value and then turn back on. The trick there is when to catch it in that mode.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm

I had a Yuasa wet cell on my ATV which I didn't maintain as well as I do my bike batteries and it lasted 15 years.

This has got me thinking about the Battery tender though as it's the only thing that's been added to the mix since last fall when I laid it up. Battery was fine at that point. Glad I discovered it now while it's still not riding season.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Post by baumedagn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Just a thought, considering where you live, is it possible it got so cold the tender couldn't keep up?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Folks on this forum tend to use "battery tender" the way other folks use "ban-aid" or "kleenex". 'Battery Tender' is an actual brand name of a highly regarded battery maintainer, or charger. Is what you are using an actual Battery Tender, Battery Tender Jr., or Battery Tender Plus ? OR, are you using some other BRAND of battery 'charger' ? There is a difference, in that many battery chargers are rated at higher amperages than power sport batteries are capable of handling, and many don't have a true float charge design. Meaning that they reduce the charge to a rather low output, "trickle charge", but never really stop charging. You might get away with that on an automotive battery with its high capacity, but because of the very small size, amp hours, and capacity of motorcycle batteries, they can be cooked with a constant trickle charge. Just wondering, because sometimes when reading these posts a statement will be made that gives away the fact that the OP is not really using a "Battery Tender", but some automotive battery charger, even though the term battery tender is used.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:16 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Folks on this forum tend to use "battery tender" the way other folks use "ban-aid" or "kleenex". 'Battery Tender' is an actual brand name of a highly regarded battery maintainer, or charger. Is what you are using an actual Battery Tender, Battery Tender Jr., or Battery Tender Plus ? OR, are you using some other BRAND of battery 'charger' ? There is a difference, in that many battery chargers are rated at higher amperages than power sport batteries are capable of handling, and many don't have a true float charge design. Meaning that they reduce the charge to a rather low output, "trickle charge", but never really stop charging. You might get away with that on an automotive battery with its high capacity, but because of the very small size, amp hours, and capacity of motorcycle batteries, they can be cooked with a constant trickle charge. Just wondering, because sometimes when reading these posts a statement will be made that gives away the fact that the OP is not really using a "Battery Tender", but some automotive battery charger, even though the term battery tender is used.
That's a very good point. I have used some non-quality "float charger" type things that destroyed my battery.

When I say "Battery Tender" I am talking about the actual Battery Tender Jr., of which I own four, and swear by. They are a quality product that will extend the life of your battery by YEARS. As I've mentioned, I'm now on year six on the battery in my GL1500, and it still works like new, thanks to the Battery Tender Jr. that is hooked up to it 24/7 whenever it is parked in my garage.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by wilmo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 am

That was what I was eluding to in my post about the tender being used. I just didn't specify well enough. If it's the Harbor freight 'battery tender' then there is a good chance it'll cook a battery-they're notorious for it. The branded Battery Tender, as mentioned, is the real deal and has circuitry that won't overcharge.
Last Tuesday a friend who had a HB tender on his Yamaha made the discovery that the battery swelled over the winter and began leaking. The HB tender was showing a charge to a dead battery. Go figure.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:22 am

cbx4evr, I have used Yuasa batteries in my bikes for years with no problems. Yes, some have gone bad over a few years and others outlasted their life expectancy. I stand by the Yuasa as they have performed well for me.

I agree with the above comments that a battery charger or maintainer can go bad also and cause problems. I have never had a problem with over 25 years of using the brand--Battery Tender. I use their Battery Tender Plus at home and have a Battery Tender JR, for use when travelling but have only used once when my wife left her bike turned on while we had lunch and then had to charge the battery. It came home from Montana with no further problems.

I also use Yuasa in my CBX! Do you still have a CBX?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by jtornese » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 pm

The new AGM batteries require a charger, or maintainer specially designed for AGM batteries! They are typically called "Intelligent" chargers. I heard about this, but thought is was bull***t myself so I used my regular charger on my new $150.00 AGm battery, and ruined it! I now have a new AGM battery and a new Intelligent maintainer (Under $30.00). I am sure if you look this up on the internet you will find plenty of reading about it. I am in the tool business, and this was the biggest topic at the last tool show I attended.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 am

Actually they are called battery maintainers, but just like Jacuzzi is a brand and the proper name for the item is a hot tube but most people will just call it a Jacuzzi. I have a battery maintainer that I got from Wal Mart in 2003, I use it every time I come home from a ride no matter how long the bike will not be ridden, 1 day or 1 month. The maintainer is still good
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Okay I need to kick my original problem back to the top. My problem has not gone away after installing a new battery. Installed a fresh, new fully charged battery today. Turned the key to ACC to reprogram the radio. My voltmeter read 12.7 V or thereabouts. As I was programming the radio I noticed that the voltage on the meter was dropping about 1/10th V per second and it was down to about 9.5V. This can't be good. Switched to ignition and voltage dropped to 6.5V immediately and of course wouldn't start. Hooked up a booster battery and started the bike. Disconnected booster battery. Let it run for quite some time before shutting off. After shutting off I immediately went to restart. Battery started at 12V but dropped very quickly and I couldn't restart.

Something is drawing the battery down in ACC mode and then even more in IGN. Electrical being my krytonite has me asking where to start. I've done nothing to the bike over the winter. Everything was working fine when I put it away in the fall. Thanks.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Sounds like one of your starter solenoids might be sticking and drawing power, and when you try to start it the other solenoid kicks in to start it.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:56 am

That is totally bizarre. I can't think of anything that should deplete the battery that fast without something smoking. Even the headlight won't draw that much current. Heck even cranking the starter shouldn't drain the battery that fast. Question. You say you installed a "fully charged" new battery. Did you charge the battery yourself or were you told it was fully charged? Have you checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter directly across the battery? I'm thinking of possibly corroded battery cables?????
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 am

dingdong wrote:That is totally bizarre. I can't think of anything that should deplete the battery that fast without something smoking. Even the headlight won't draw that much current. Heck even cranking the starter shouldn't drain the battery that fast. Question. You say you installed a "fully charged" new battery. Did you charge the battery yourself or were you told it was fully charged? Have you checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter directly across the battery? I'm thinking of possibly corroded battery cables?????
My thoughts as well. Anything that could draw a "fully charged" battery down like that would be smoking or burning, and would certainly create some nice fireworks when you connected the battery cables, if it were draining in the key OFF position. Corrosion doesn't sound right to me, given the "1/10 volt per second" drop statement. Corrosion usually shows up all at once, under load. It sounds just like a battery that is toast.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son

Post by cbx4evr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 am

The battery was charged when I received it and I've charged it since then. Had it sitting on the bench and just went to install it yesterday. It went from charger into the bike. I've since recharged it overnight. Sitting in the bike with key off at 13V. I'm afraid to do anything with turning the key. I'm thinking that whatever the problem is killed my last battery. The battery is not draining in the key off position other than what it's using to feed the clock and radio memory.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Quick questions.Your meter your looking at on the bike getting these voltage readings...Exactly to what terminals is it connected.
Do you have a simple test light.The one with the lightbulb in it?
Do you have another digital volt meter.?
Do you have a meter that can measure amps?
Either a DC clamp meter or a 10 amp lead type.