carbs or diaphram????

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

carbs or diaphram????

Postby rlsapp » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:46 pm

just today went out to ride the bike, and had to choke the bike just to start, like normal...ride for 25 miles and parked for about 45 minutes, when starting the bike it had to turn over about 10-15 times before starting, that isn't normal for the bike...I also smell gas strong when it starts up, what could this be, the floats sticking or the diaphram going bad????

viragoxv
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Interstate

Re: carbs or diaphram????

Postby viragoxv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:20 pm

either ya got a vacuum hose come off, that can cause a hell of a starting problem....(been there pulled my hair out til I found it) or the floats are outta whack like ya said.... especially since ya smell gas real strong when starting...

chuck

viragoxv
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Interstate

Postby viragoxv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 am

Saw this on another Goldwing Site..... hope it helps and it makes sense too.....:::replaced the hose clamps around the fuel filter with stainless screw tight types.

It happened more when the fuel tank was half full or less. The spring loaded fuel line clamps would expand and let the fumes out as the hot engine cooked the gas tank after stopping. Apparently it doesn't stay hot enough long enough to cook a full tank.

Another common fuel leak area is at the auto shutoff valve. Sometimes the valve needs a rebuild kit.

It's all based on tank pressure after a stop from a longish ride...............

good luck

chuck

rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby rlsapp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:34 pm

weird...run some Sea Foam in the tank, after running the complete tank of gas, no more starting problems as of now. (any thoughts what happened)...

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”