Lighting decision

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Haskinhale
Motorcycle: 1991 anniversary interstate

Lighting decision

Postby Haskinhale » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Hey guys gonna get my current bike up to party before I change bikes my question is if you could do 1 light upgrade for seeing deer, what would you choose? So Cal led plug and play or leave stock halogens and add led driving lights. Thanks ahead of time.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Lighting decision

Postby MikeB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm

For the least expensive and simplest option, I'd go for LED driving lights that are mounted under the fairing "chin".
Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26057&hilit=led+driving
And then here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24188&hilit=led+driving&start=25

Inexpensive and simple to install.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:53 pm

From what I recall, there is still an issue with getting both the Hi and Low beam calibrated to proper height for each beam. (IE - Low beam set at proper height, but HI is to high up)

Last year I added a set of 18W Cree LED spot driving lamps in place of my older 55 w H3 Halogen ones and what a difference!!! :shock:
Each one can be set independently to the other and your main headlight.
I have my right side one aimed off to the right a bit and a little higher to illuminate the ditches on that side. My left one is aimed a little lower and off to the left so as to not blind oncoming drivers. ;)

This is when I had the 55 W H3 Halogen driving lights ....

These are the new 18W Cree LED driving lamps, (think I paid $14.98 including shipping from EBay) which come with brackets and hardware. .....

Left side 18W LED hooked up. ....

Very noticable difference between the 18W LED light on the left and the comparitively feeble light output of the 55W H3 on the right. ...

Both installed. ....

These shots were taken from inside my shop, pointing out to the road and shows the difference between just the bike's Halogen headlight on low and then HI ....

Now theses shots are with my camera on the same settings, but with bike's headlight and the 18W Cree LRD driving lamps turned on, 1st on Low and then on Hi beam. .....

Pretty darn good investment for $14.98 if you ask me!! 8-)

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:Pretty darn good investment for $14.98 if you ask me!! 8-)

Agreed. The LED driving light option is a sound investment.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Lumberrunner
Motorcycle: 1991 interstate anniversary edition

Postby Lumberrunner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Is there a better halogen option for the headlight..

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Lumberrunner wrote:Thanks a lot guys. Is there a better halogen option for the headlight..

If you're still running the OEM bulbs in the headlights, you could definitely upgrade by putting in some standard H4 #9003 Sylvania headlight bulbs. The OEM's are rated at 45/45W low/high. Where as the 9003 is rated 55/60W low/high. There is a noticeable improvement in the light output. They should fit right into your existing sockets with no shims or modifications. I would also buy the basic Sylvania bulb, XtraVision I think they call it. About $15 a pair. They are the same wattage as all their fancier, more expensive bulbs, minus the blue tint, that can only reduce light output, since it acts like a filter. Mine have been on there about 17K miles now. I've heard of others putting some sort of H4 that has a 100W output, but I'd be hesitant to try that, as the reflector assembly may not handle the additional heat from a pair of 100W bulbs. The LED's discussed earlier are a great add-on. Mine are a different configuration than the ones shown, and only 10W with a 15 degree angle, but they do light the road nicely. Be sure you are getting LED's with a pretty narrow beam 10, 15, 30 degrees, to light the road with minimal 'blinding' of oncoming traffic.

Lumberrunner
Motorcycle: 1991 interstate anniversary edition

Postby Lumberrunner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am

Thank you, this site has been a God send. Going to buy some of the h4 bulbs today.

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby jtornese » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:01 pm

I got a pair of 80/100 watt bulbs at Napa. They are from Wagner and are considered "for off road only" I also got a set of ceramic plug and play harnesses from Amazon, as I was aware of a heat build up with the stock harnesses with this wattage of bulbs. I had my 15 amp headlight fuse burn out on 2 occasions when running high beam all day. I have put in a 20 amp fuse with no ill effects since then. I have been through 2 Pennsylvnia inspections, and there is no way to detect that these bulbs are in the bike.
the extra visability can mean the difference between life and death at night where you can gain extra reaction time with brighter lighting.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 pm

jtornese wrote:I got a pair of 80/100 watt bulbs at Napa. They are from Wagner and are considered "for off road only" I also got a set of ceramic plug and play harnesses from Amazon, as I was aware of a heat build up with the stock harnesses with this wattage of bulbs. I had my 15 amp headlight fuse burn out on 2 occasions when running high beam all day. I have put in a 20 amp fuse with no ill effects since then. I have been through 2 Pennsylvnia inspections, and there is no way to detect that these bulbs are in the bike.
the extra visibility can mean the difference between life and death at night where you can gain extra reaction time with brighter lighting.

You have already indicated that you have increased the current to the point of opening the OEM 15 amp fuse. In light of that, you installed a 20 amp fuse.

Over current fusing a very bad idea. Ill effects may raise their ugly heads down the road. An increase in current draw due to a higher than design limit loading will damage not only wires and insulation but connectors as well.

All connectors have resistance. With an increase in current, that resistance will cause more heat than the connectors are designed to handle. That can, and usually does, damage connectors with an increase in heat. That increase in heat will cause an increase in resistance. That increase in resistance causes more heat. This goes on and on until the connector is damaged to the extent that it will no longer conduct electricity at a minimum and could possibly cause a fire. Case in point, the stator wiring connectors for the GL1200's. They could not handle the current draw because the design was incorrect and subsequently melted. The fix most people used was to take the connectors out of the circuit and hard wire them. They could have used higher current carrying capacity connectors but hard wiring was the simplest and quickest way to fix it.

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:...I've heard of others putting some sort of H4 that has a 100W output, but I'd be hesitant to try that, as the reflector assembly may not handle the additional heat from a pair of 100W bulbs.
This is something you really need to think about.

See the reflector area above the bulb ... it is hazy. And directly above that, the silver reflector material is gone and the white ABS is showing. Know why? I don't know why either but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is because of using 55/60 watt bulbs in a 1998 GL1500 housing for a period of 13 years and 159,000 miles. The motorcycle comes stock with 45/45 watt bulbs. I shudder to think what 80/100 watt bulbs will do to the reflectors.

Both reflectors look like that. A new headlight assembly costs $233.40 from Partzilla.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:15 pm

For the least expensive and simplest option, I'd go for LED driving lights that are mounted under the fairing "chin".
Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26057&hilit=led+driving]

This is what I have on my bike and just love them. I believe however they are for the country with no one around. They are bright.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:
Last year I added a set of 18W Cree LED spot driving lamps in place of my older 55 w H3 Halogen ones and what a difference!!! :shock:

I like the price of those and might order some. They're U.S. stocked so I shouldn't have to wait 4-6 weeks for China shipping. Can you give any info on your mount bar and did brackets on the LEDs bolt right up or did you have to fabricate anything? Thanks.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:24 am

spiralout wrote:
Dusty Boots wrote:

I like the price of those and might order some. They're U.S. stocked so I shouldn't have to wait 4-6 weeks for China shipping. Can you give any info on your mount bar and did brackets on the LEDs bolt right up or did you have to fabricate anything? Thanks.

The light bar can be had from CycleMax, the LED light brackets bolted right up with the grounding wire grounded out between the bracket and the mounting bolt and are controlled by a keyed LED toggle switch.

I had the lights in my hand within 4 days of ordering them.

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:

The light bar can be had from CycleMax, the LED light brackets bolted right up with the grounding wire grounded out between the bracket and the mounting bolt and are controlled by a keyed LED toggle switch.

I had the lights in my hand within 4 days of ordering them.

Thanks for the info and link. I ordered the lights to give them a try and I might grab that bar from Cyclemax. Not sure yet, though. I'm going to look around some before I decide on that one or not.

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:07 pm

I didn't want my lights spaced so far out to the sides, so I used the chrome mounting bar shown in the picture. It's a Show Chrome part. If you call them, they will give you the part # for that piece only, minus the halogen driving lights. It will take some creative adapting, to make any of the LED lights properly mount to the bar, as the bar mounts are for horizontal light mounting. But it does keep them in close and tight to the bike.
Or, you could get the mount shown in the third photo. It offers lots of variety for mounting options, and plenty of room for expansion of future light add-ons. :-)
Attachments

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:04 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I didn't want my lights spaced so far out to the sides, so I used the chrome mounting bar shown in the picture. It's a Show Chrome part. If you call them, they will give you the part # for that piece only, minus the halogen driving lights. It will take some creative adapting, to make any of the LED lights properly mount to the bar, as the bar mounts are for horizontal light mounting. But it does keep them in close and tight to the bike.

That bar, without lights, was on my 1500 when I got it and I immediately took it off because the chrome on it was in pretty bad shape. How stout is yours with the lights mounted? Mine seems pretty flimsy in my hand. I was thinking about fabricating some stiffer brackets like what's on WA's bike or like Rudy did here

keithg64

Postby keithg64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:33 am

spiralout wrote:
Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I didn't want my lights spaced so far out to the sides, so I used the chrome mounting bar shown in the picture. It's a Show Chrome part. If you call them, they will give you the part # for that piece only, minus the halogen driving lights. It will take some creative adapting, to make any of the LED lights properly mount to the bar, as the bar mounts are for horizontal light mounting. But it does keep them in close and tight to the bike.

That bar, without lights, was on my 1500 when I got it and I immediately took it off because the chrome on it was in pretty bad shape. How stout is yours with the lights mounted? Mine seems pretty flimsy in my hand. I was thinking about fabricating some stiffer brackets like what's on WA's bike or like Rudy did here
Superbright_LED_Aux_Lights_16.jpg

This is the mount I made for my bike and love them and the location. They mount under the fairing to the fairing support bars. If I remember right it is 3/16 × 1 wide.

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 pm

spiralout wrote:

Superbright_LED_Aux_Lights_16.jpg

Once it's screwed up under the headlight, it's solid as a rock. As I recall, it did have some flex to it unmounted, but as I recall it is also made of some pretty hefty metal. Don't get me started on the chrome plating on these type things. I waxed mine right out of the box, to get a jump start on corrosion, rust, whatever. I have decided that if it's chrome plated, aftermarket, and made for a bike, or at least a Goldwing, the plating is crap. I've got accessories from Show Chrome, Add-On, Kuryakyn, and maybe someone else. Their plating stinks. OEM plating from just about any bike manufacturer is quality stuff. But aftermarket, not so much. That being said, you have to be prepared to spend some time maintaining the aftermarket chrome stuff you add to the bike. It cannot be ignored for any length of time, and brought back to like-new condition with some elbow grease, as is true of OEM parts. You've gotta stay on top of it. I've found this to be true of metal items, and plastic items. So, I periodically wax/polish my chrome, including the LED light bracket under the headlight. It will continue to look good with care. There is no visible vibration of my LED's while parked, engine running, or driving down the road. They are rock solid on the Show Chrome part I referenced. I've done a fair amount of fabricating in my time, but I like the looks of the chrome piece, wanted a more 'finished' appearance than Rudy's solution, and didn't feel like dedicating the time to custom made brackets.

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 pm

keithg64 wrote:This is the mount I made for my bike and love them and the location. They mount under the fairing to the fairing support bars. If I remember right it is 3/16 × 1 wide.

Which one, the individual mounts like in the pic or the full length bar like in Rudy's write up?

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Don't get me started on the chrome plating on these type things. I waxed mine right out of the box, to get a jump start on corrosion, rust, whatever. I have decided that if it's chrome plated, aftermarket, and made for a bike, or at least a Goldwing, the plating is crap. I've got accessories from Show Chrome, Add-On, Kuryakyn, and maybe someone else. Their plating stinks. OEM plating from just about any bike manufacturer is quality stuff. But aftermarket, not so much.

I'd originally written that the plating on it was garbage just like every POS Show Chrome and Add-On trim I've ever had but I decided not to dis on them just in case you were a Show Chrome fan. I see now it wouldn't have bothered you much if I had said that :lol: :lol:

By the way, thanks to OP for not complaining about me taking over his thread.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:11 am

If you're looking at getting usable lighting further down the road for better illumination, then the higher and further apart you mount your aux lighting, the further and better coverage you'll get.

Haskinhale
Motorcycle: 1991 anniversary interstate

Postby Haskinhale » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 am

Thanks dusty boots. I got the light bar from cycle max and 2 15w 3" 1750lumens leds from superbriteleds thanks to the advice of this site.

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:41 am

Did some research on what kind of headlights to switch to from my stock bulbs. What I went to was the LED 55 w bulbs for the lower (fog light) placement and went to the super bright HID headlight set up. The light it projects down the road and out into the side of the road is amazing. Its one of the best improvements I have made. I am very happy with them and I leave them on bright beam during daytime driving. The bulbs are guaranteed for life, only took me and brother a little over an hour to install the package. The HID have a ballast that has to be installed but there is more then enough room in the fairing for this set up. I have seen and parked beside other Goldwing's with the regular LED bulb replacement and my HID is much brighter and projects further down the road. I have just over 100$ in my new HID's, money well spent. Won't ever switch to anything else also.

keithg64

Postby keithg64 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 am

spiralout wrote:
keithg64 wrote:This is the mount I made for my bike and love them and the location. They mount under the fairing to the fairing support bars. If I remember right it is 3/16 × 1 wide.

Which one, the individual mounts like in the pic or the full length bar like in Rudy's write up?

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Don't get me started on the chrome plating on these type things. I waxed mine right out of the box, to get a jump start on corrosion, rust, whatever. I have decided that if it's chrome plated, aftermarket, and made for a bike, or at least a Goldwing, the plating is crap. I've got accessories from Show Chrome, Add-On, Kuryakyn, and maybe someone else. Their plating stinks. OEM plating from just about any bike manufacturer is quality stuff. But aftermarket, not so much.

I'd originally written that the plating on it was garbage just like every POS Show Chrome and Add-On trim I've ever had but I decided not to dis on them just in case you were a Show Chrome fan. I see now it wouldn't have bothered you much if I had said that :lol: :lol:

By the way, thanks to OP for not complaining about me taking over his thread.

I made the ones in the picture. The picture is the bosses bike here on this site. Made mine out of stainless steel.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 pm

If you haven't already, have a look at my pictures of OEM halogen, HID, and LED here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32942

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”