BIGGEST AND BEST TIRES FOR GL1500?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
martinarial
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate
1988 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2001 ST1100

BIGGEST AND BEST TIRES FOR GL1500?

Postby martinarial » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 am

Heyyyyy fellow Wingers ;)

I'm just about ready to change the tires on my 1988 Goldwing, and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions (backed up by experience, of course) for new BIGGER tires. I find the present Dunlops real noisy as they are wearing thin, especially in curves, and the front wheel wobble is more and more present at low speeds...I recently purchased a "Superior Fork Brace" on eBay for that, but I was waiting to change the front tire to install it.

I ride between 20,000 to 30,000 miles (30,000km-45,000km) per summer, so I'm looking for longevity over performance in the rain (although performance in the rain is important, but not too much at the expense of longevity).

I've always had BIG rubber on my Goldwings, always super satisfied on my GL1100 ad GL1200, but this GL1500 is new to me and I find it has rather slim rubber (130/70 & 160/80)...I'm not sure how much room is available under the fenders and between the front forks for slightly oversized tires, but I'd sure appreciate any advice your fellow Wingers could send my way before my purchase.

Ride safe y'all! ;)

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Re: BIGGEST AND BEST TIRES FOR GL1500?

Postby gogs11uk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Can't help a lot with the bigger rubber but I can tell you that I ran Avon Cobra's on my 1500 and all though the wobble was less on the new tyres, it was still there but only just. As the tyres wore down, the wobble returned a bit at a time and the noise also came back. I had changed to them from Dunlops so had a little experience with them and they were bad for wearing, especially on the front. The tyre cupped very noticibly from one particular ride. It was a high speed mixed with some very abrasive cuves taken at speed and I virtually had to thtrow the tyres away after that run as the front was so badly cupped you could feel the bike on the corners going in so far and then almost wanting to tip you over into the last bit as you had the cup meet the tarmac. Not a good feeling and did scare me a couple of times. the new Avons fixed that and I ran them till I sold the bike. THey were still like new after around 5k miles but cant give you an exact figure as I sold it on for my 1800.

I'm running bridgestones on my 1800 (standard sizes) and they are wearing and you can hear a definite drumming when going into the corners, moreso on the right hand corners than the left. Maybe I'm just more confident in the rights or I'm going deaf on the left.....lol.

Good luck with whatever tyre you choose m8 and it would be good to hear a report back on your mileages out of them. i don't do anywhere near the mileages you are talking about.

Gordie

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Postby gogs11uk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Sorry about the double post but it came up with a coding error and was showing in preview mode. So guess what i clicked submit again and here we are....

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby BikerGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 am

I have a 1995 wing and I just went with the DunFlop Elite 3's. The Elite 2's are horrible tires. I have 500 miles on the new ones and even though I swore I would never go with Dunlops again, I actually like these tires. They hold the road good and it made the bike feel like a heavier bike again. Before this I had pirelli tires. Folks - don't EVER buy Pirelli's. They sucked! They lasted only for 6000 miles, wore out the rear tire and the front tire had cracks in the groves.

martinarial
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate
1988 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2001 ST1100

Postby martinarial » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 am

Finally decided to go with a set of Metzeler ME880...hesitated between those and the Bridgestone Exedra series, but testimonials I've heard so far gave the thumbs up to the Metzelers...we'll see...I'll probably have an opinion on them by the end of october...

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby BikerGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

I hear ya... I was considering those but my bike mechanic and good friend said to go with the elite 3's because they were totally redesigned for the 1500 wings and he has heard from the bikers he installed the tires for that the elites were better....... Just a matter of opinions, I suppose! I would like to know how the metz's are doing tho!

So far, I love the dunflops and that's something I never thought I would say about them!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”