Remove Front Speaker Grill

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shomann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Remove Front Speaker Grill

Post by shomann » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Gents -

There is something in front of my left speaker that has been there since I purchased the bike. It appears to me that it might be grill cloth that should go behind the grill to protect the speaker (?), but the right side has none. Don't know what else it could be, and how it could get there if its something else?

I've thought about replacing the speakers with the Polk DB-501's as many have done over the years, but never worked up the ambition to do all the disassembly required. Can the speaker grill be removed carefully at obvious attachment points without bending it so it can be re-installed and look good, or does removing it bend it so it will never be straight again? Anyone removed them & reinstalled and have them still looking good?

Thanks!
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Remove Front Speaker Grill

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 15, 2017 10:45 pm

You can't really remove the grills themselves - the whole plastic cover (that the grills are mounted to) has to be removed.

shomann

Post by shomann » Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 am

It looks like the grills are snapped in from the front when built. Or am I wrong and they press in from the back of the enclosure? They appear to have at least one tab on the top where I could use a thin putty knife to gently pry the tab down enough to pop the grill out from the front.

I know the enclosure has to come out to replace the speakers. I only want to pull out whatever is in front of the speaker (grill cloth?).

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Tue May 16, 2017 8:41 am

As wing admin said, take the dash off, The grills are screwed on from the back.

You will have to remove your mirrors to get at the screws that hold the front metal windshield clamp.not a big deal.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 am

shomann wrote: Can the speaker grill be removed carefully at obvious attachment points without bending it so it can be re-installed and look good, or does removing it bend it so it will never be straight again? Anyone removed them & reinstalled and have them still looking good?
Yes, I have and if your careful and don't caveman it, they won't bend and can be reinstalled fine.
WingAdmin wrote:You can't really remove the grills themselves - the whole plastic cover (that the grills are mounted to) has to be removed.
Sure ya can. I've done it. No need to take the dash cover off.
shomann wrote:It looks like the grills are snapped in from the front when built. Or am I wrong and they press in from the back of the enclosure? They appear to have at least one tab on the top where I could use a thin putty knife to gently pry the tab down enough to pop the grill out from the front.

I know the enclosure has to come out to replace the speakers. I only want to pull out whatever is in front of the speaker (grill cloth?).
You're correct. They're snapped in from the front. I used a micro flat head screwdriver inserted in the gap to ease the tabs out of their slots. I't been a while but I think some sides had two tabs and one side only has one. I might be wrong though.
joeincalif wrote:As wing admin said, take the dash off, The grills are screwed on from the back.

You will have to remove your mirrors to get at the screws that hold the front metal windshield clamp.not a big deal.
Nope.The plastic piece, #13,behind the grill is screwed, not the grill itself. And the grills are metal...

shomann

Post by shomann » Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am

I successfully removed the grill. No need to go to all the work of disassembling the front fairing and removing the enclosures. The diagram really helped! What I found worked best was a micro screwdriver to get between the grill and plastic edge of the enclosure to release the tab, then a small flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the tabs and grill away from the enclosure opening.

The grill cloth that is glued to the back side of the metal grill was laying in the enclosure. I would assume this would happen to all GW's after time, so it's something everyone will have to do at some time. The other side was obviously done by the PO and wasn't there. If it was still in place, it would have been immediately apparent that it was the grill cloth that had detached and fallen to the bottom of the enclosure.

Thanks again!

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 pm