Spark questions on rough running 1988 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sotaguy100
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing

Spark questions on rough running 1988 1500

Post by Sotaguy100 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am

I have an 88 Goldwing named the Grey Eagle. 61,000 miles. I have owned it now for 20 years. I had put on a gas valve last year and installed that in the line before the gas filter. I put stable in the gas, drove it for a few miles, parked the bike and closed the valve to run the carbs out of gas for the winter. This spring I was going to change the Thermostat. The bike started right up but didn't sound right. All the cylinders were not firing. I drove the bike 15 miles to my friends house where we were going to change the thermostat. During the ride I could tell the right bank of 3 cylinders were not firing correctly. The bike had no power to accelerate. When I was up to 55 and gave it full throttle, all of a sudden the 3 cyclinders on the right side started firing and it felt and sounded like it used to. The second I let up on the gas, it went back to feeling like it wasn't firing and I'm back to 3 cylinders.

Got it to my friends garage where we had it idling and we pulled the plug wires off the plugs one at a time off the right bank and the engine did not change. We pulled the plug wires off the left bank 1 at a time and the engine bogged down each time. We thought a carb problem. Removed and cleaned out the carbs, reinstalled the carbs and we had no change. Checked to make sure we have gas, new gas filter, and everything checked out. Checked spark to the right bank of plugs, we had spark. Plug wires were hard and stiff. Decided just because of age to put in new coils and wires. Checked all the vacume hoses, made sure all electrical connections were good. Started the bike and no change. We have spark to the right bank of plugs, but we can still remove a wire on the right plugs and it doesn't change the running of the engine at all. We then changed out the Carb control box and the ignitor box and we had no change.

We have gas, we have spark, we have no power on the right side of the engine. Need Help!!!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Spark questions on rough running 1988 1500

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 am

Gas,spark and compression.
Check the compression.
Rare but possible that the hydraulic "lifters" on that side are not bleeding back and keeping the valves from closing.
This did just happen to another member but his affected the whole engine.
Also,when you pull the plug wire,pull it just till you can hear the sparking.Compare it to the cylinders that are firing.I had one bad coil on my 88.the spark noise was much lower than the others.

Sotaguy100

Post by Sotaguy100 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am

We have installed 3 new coils and new wires. Spark is the same at all 6 plugs. Good and strong.
We have not checked the compression as of today. I will be buying that tool today as I do not have one.

Would this happen if I had a small obstruction in the tail pipe causing back pressure?? Tailpipes were not plugged during the winter storage.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Not likely.Stuff a waded up plastic Walmart bag into the plug hole .Not too deep,just enough to plug it.Crank it over with the kill switch off.It should pop that plug well out into the shop.
Try it on a cylinder that fires so you know what to expect.
Not really accurate as a gauge but a quick test.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Sotaguy100 wrote:I have an 88 Goldwing named the Grey Eagle. 61,000 miles. I have owned it now for 20 years. I had put on a gas valve last year and installed that in the line before the gas filter. I put stable in the gas, drove it for a few miles, parked the bike and closed the valve to run the carbs out of gas for the winter. This spring I was going to change the Thermostat. The bike started right up but didn't sound right. All the cylinders were not firing. I drove the bike 15 miles to my friends house where we were going to change the thermostat. During the ride I could tell the right bank of 3 cylinders were not firing correctly. The bike had no power to accelerate. When I was up to 55 and gave it full throttle, all of a sudden the 3 cyclinders on the right side started firing and it felt and sounded like it used to. The second I let up on the gas, it went back to feeling like it wasn't firing and I'm back to 3 cylinders.
Got it to my friends garage where we had it idling and we pulled the plug wires off the plugs one at a time off the right bank and the engine did not change. We pulled the plug wires off the left bank 1 at a time and the engine bogged down each time. We thought a carb problem. Removed and cleaned out the carbs, reinstalled the carbs and we had no change. Checked to make sure we have gas, new gas filter, and everything checked out. Checked spark to the right bank of plugs, we had spark. Plug wires were hard and stiff. Decided just because of age to put in new coils and wires. Checked all the vacume hoses, made sure all electrical connections were good. Started the bike and no change. We have spark to the right bank of plugs, but we can still remove a wire on the right plugs and it doesn't change the running of the engine at all. We then changed out the Carb control box and the ignitor box and we had no change. We have gas, we have spark, we have no power on the right side of the engine. Need Help!!!
The common denominator for not firing/running on one bank would be the carburetor or a large vacuum leak at the shot air injection hose which connects to the base of intake manifold.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm not sure if my message got posted. It disappeared. (thats why i copy before posting everywhere) If it posts twice. let me know and i will remove it. I am having the same exact issue with my 95 1500. I saw your post and got exited. Finally (unfortunately) I found someone else that has this issue .. But....nope.. My dead bank is the LEFT SIDE. I have spark through the wires and through the NEW plugs. So... (Coils are good) cleaned the carbs. (Fuel is good) checked all "?" Vacume lines. Compression test shows even on all cylinders. 140 lbs at 6 seconds of cranking. I removed the side cover to inspect the rockers. they all are in unicen. Change gas with new (non alcohol gas) My mechanic Friends is now saying..."TIMING BELTS MAY HAVE SKIPPED A TOOTH" After reading many posts on CHANGING THE TIMING BELTS (Thanks Wingadmin) that is mostly never happened. If it was a Tooth off. The engine would be shot. But since I am So Far into this thing (everything off the bike) from the saddle bags to the front wheel. I'm going to go out there My "BATCAVE" and get the timing belt covers off to check if the marks are all aligned. That "friend" of mine, ordered belts from Honda. They only sent 1 of them :evil: so. now i'll be waiting another week for that...
I think it's a carburetor issue. I think it is either a coil or vacume issue. not sending the fuel to that side.
Try this... take the air box cover off.start it. start it.put your hand over the carburetor on the good side. it should stall. Then do the same thing to the other side carb. Mine doesn't stall on my bad side. Maybe it's stall on the bad side. good side. that tells me,,,VACUME. BUT i'me (pretty sure" all my lines or on.
If I ever get my issues figured out. I'll let you know. I"m going (crazy) trying to fix this thing.
If you got yours going. Will you PLEASE reply back to me and tell me what you discovered.
If I ever get my issues figured out. I'll let you know. I"m going (crazy) trying to fix
GOOD LUCK...BEN

Sotaguy100

Post by Sotaguy100 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Benejee2112. It is Saturday night at 7pm. I have done the exact same thing. Covered the good side carb which is my left side and the bike stalls. Covered my bad carb on the right and nothing changes. Squirted gas down the right carb and nothing changes. If I wasn't getting enough gas this would make it fire but it didn't do that. My mechanic states by adding gas and nothing changes means I have enough gas and not enough air. He believes it was a vacuum tube that is under the black rubber heat shield on the seat side of the carbs. I replaced that vacuum tube and the rubber gaskets that the carbs sit in. I tested that old tube and it was fine and had no leaks with air pressure under water. Not 1 air bubble. Pulled the fans out and checked all the hoses that I could see. Put everything back together and I ended up exactly where I was with the right side not firing properly.
I have not been able to find a bad hose. For being 29 years old my hoses are still very flexible and look good. I am stumped.
I believe I will be taking it in on Monday morning to my mechanic to work on. Good luck with your bike. I didn't have any with mine.

Sotaguy100

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 pm

DANGGIT.. I was hoping that your reply was going to have a happy ending. But thanks for gettin back to me... MISERY LOVES COMPANY. Please keep in touch with me on this one. hmmmmm
something just popped in my head.. there is a 3 was diverter where the main feed from the fuel filter, meets and send fuel to each side I have mine plugged in just how it is in the shop manual. maybe that T connection needs a closer look. the right one has a extream bend on it to go backwards to the left side or the T. and vice-varsa. It don't make sense, but, i stayed in line with the grphic photo. I'm going to "try" to reverse those 2. might not work because the shape of the hoses... TOMORROW. I've had enough frustration for today,........PEACE.BEN

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 pm

DANGGIT.. I was hoping that your reply was going to have a happy ending. But thanks for gettin back to me... MISERY LOVES COMPANY. Please keep in touch with me on this one. hmmmmm
something just popped in my head.. there is a 3 was diverter where the main feed from the fuel filter, meets and send fuel to each side I have mine plugged in just how it is in the shop manual. maybe that T connection needs a closer look. the right one has a extream bend on it to go backwards to the left side or the T. and vice-varsa. It don't make sense, but, i stayed in line with the grphic photo. I'm going to "try" to reverse those 2. might not work because the shape of the hoses... TOMORROW. I've had enough frustration for today,........PEACE.BEN

Sotaguy100

Post by Sotaguy100 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 pm

Sorry for the long delay on this problem. I took the Bike in to a Mechanic. He pulled the carbs, cleaned them, put them back in and had the same result. Right bank has no fuel. He thought it might be the fuel pump on the carbs but would not install an aftermarket kit. He wanted a Honda OEM part. They don't make them any more so I ended up buying a complete carb set and had that sent to me. Brought it to my mechanic. He changed out the fuel pump, still didn't change a thing. He then swapped carb sets and Ta DA!!!! the right bank is now firing. So, the mechanic didn't fix the problem, charged me $500 for a carb kit and carb cleaning and installing the different set of Carbs on the bike which I paid $225 for. Bike runs great. We now know the problem is the Right Carb. Something is plugged in a port, or a jet and I or the mechanic have not been able to make that carb work correctly. I now have the winter to take it apart and hopefully get it cleaned out. I may have a set of Carbs for sale next spring if anyone needs a set.